1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow storage for the summer...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I haven't decided for sure yet if I'm going to store my plow in the shop or not for the summer. But if I do leave it outside is there any kind of cover that a guy can get? I'm thinking a tarp pulled tight and anchored down would work fairly well, but would a guy need to punch some holes around the lower areas to get some air flow? I don't want moisture to build up underneath the tarp and rust the plow. Any good ideas out there or suggestions?

I know I could do a search but I'm too lazy right now, sorry. :)

Buck

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

remember a tarp makes a great spot for wasps and hornets to build a nest. i usually go out a couple times a summer and blast the nests with zen kill. die stupid insects. :)
    some holes would be good to prevent moisture from being trapped next to the plow like you said.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

HEY! HEY!HEY! what are you doing using the "S" word!!!!! :waving:

4. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

I store my plow under a tarp in the summer. Really don't have any other choice. I paint any rusted areas before I cover it up for the year, and I also apply this parafin based anti rust stuff to the cylinders, cutting edge, and around the pivots. This stuff works well and comes RIGHT off when it's time to use the plow again. I'm a bicycle mechanic and we sell this stuff at our shop, it's through Trek, but I think the product manager got these chemicals from Honda? It's their shop grade stuff. I'm sure there's other brands out there, but this stuff was right under my nose.

Also, I use a tarp that's way long. 11' I think. I don't do much to close it on the ends. it overhangs the plow by a couple feet and allows the air to circulate.

-Jay

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

what "s" word ,, you mean SUMMER.....

6. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

Can I just use a spray grease or Cosmoline on the cylinders? Is there any worry about damageing seals or anything?

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

thats the one!! :nono:

8. wddodge

wddodge Member

If you have to store it outside, set the plow up on a pallet or concrete blocks. That way air can still circulate under the plow to help keep it dry. Coat the cylinders with grease and tarp it down. Be sure to leave an air space at the bottom.

Denny

9. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Hey Buck,another way to store outside is finding a couple Oak pallets (very strong) and place blade on them ,cover with 2 tarps, bungie and see what happens..this is what I do every year and blade stays working now going on 11 years...

10. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I'm sick of winter! Not tired of plowing though...haven't plowed but 3 times since January, still could manage a couple storms for plowing. But just tired of the cold, hell I bought 14 cords of dried oak in October and it was gone Feb. 28th. Been out cutting wood off my acreage at least once a week for the past three weeks...I want spring!!!!!!!! :redbounce

All good ideas guys, will probably use some of each. I like the pallet idea Camland, good to keep it up off the ground. And would it be okay to spray the cylinders down real good with some WD-40 or something like that? Hell, for that matter a guy could spray the whole plow down with it maybe...does it help prevent rust pretty good?

Buck

11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i use some grease from my grease gun on the cylinders. didn't wipe it off at the beginning of this season and didn't have any problems. but i did get some on my jacket when adjusting the center shoe. :)

12. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

The pallet idea is a must!
    Also, before taking it off the truck, angle extreme to one side. Shut truck of (belt drive) or disconnect main battery power from electric motor, remove the cotter and attachment pin from the rod end of this piston, while someone holds the lever or switch to the opposite side, manually push blade to the other side.
    Now manually compress lift piston, remove from truck, (reattach wires if necessary) spray on coating to ends of cylinders, and oil pivot points, I like an old fashioned pump can with regular motor oil.
    Tarp as you see fit, I like the earlier post that uses a large tarp tent like.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Yes, no snow can make for a long winter, if it wans't for lake effect snow we would be in the same boat and the lake does keep it warmer here too.

I store my plows up off the ground,in a shed,garage, under a tree or you can cover it. First wash off of the salt and sand.
    I change the fluid at this time also , no sense storing it with contaminated fluid. cheek and clean, hydraulic and electric connections, look for damage from a year of "ab" use. On the boss V you can skip the next steep. Coat the exposed ram cylinders with grease, does it need to be repainted? Pick your favorite color.
    Now, go get the boat ready for fishing :drinkup:

14. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I am gonna keep mine either under or in the dump trailer I wrecked last year. In fact a few of us are gonna use the same spot. Probably spray it with something.? I lilke the pallet idea, so maybe under it on some pallets. I guess it is time to start thinking about it. Spring is right around the corner!

Jeff

15. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

no way

DONT SAY IT... Its never Over just a while till the next storm. I have my next project ready to go and now is the time to buy and upgrade..... :waving:

16. jbelandscape

jbelandscape Member

Try not to put grease on anything. For one, it will actually trap moisture on the surface of the parts, even if you think they are dry. Second, it is a mess to apply and cleanup later. You are much better off putting a film lubricant on the rams and such. You can use a light oil, wd-40 or a similar product. I have seen the effects of grease on a big block that was greased and stored inside for two years, it is not good. Engine builders will tell you the same thing.

Jeff

17. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

The proper way to store the cylinders is to un hook 1 end and collapse them so no chrome is showing. You will have to bleed the hose when doing this.
    some of my cylinders are 30 years old and never been repacked and show no rust on the shaft.

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You can't tell me that wd40 is going to protect my rams all summer, I din't think it will still Be of any use after a couple of hot days and some heavy rain.
    I don't know what type of grease you used on that engine.(I use assembly oil)
    I have used grease for 24yr on equipment for summer storage with good results. As for clean up, just wipe them off with a rag in the fall, Yes it will make a mess out of the rag ,but I can handel it.
    I do like Dawn's ides of disconnecting the ram and retracting it, but this might not be practical for all pieces of equipment

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I'm planning on rebuilding mine this Summer (Hah, I said it too.)

All I ever do is drop it on a couple of scrap wood blocks (pallets are too cumbersome for me- takes up too much space. I have some scrap 2x8x10 that I put under the cutting edge and the jack foot. (the old speedcast is on 2 wood blocks under the cutting edge and a cement block under the a frame)
    Uncovered all season- planning on useing a BBQ cover- they're cheap as heck and plentiful on clerance every fall... (In fact I use one to cover my motorcycle too) to just cover the headgear.

I use white moly grease on the exposed rams and have never had any rusting problems. I reapply it every 2 months (or whenever I am out side and think of it.) Grease trapping moisture to iron/steel is usually from poor prep before it was greased- and engine blocks are pig iron which is porus, ram cylinders being nickel plated are not, so moisture problems are very unlikly.

Clean your electrical connections and regrease them with di-electric grease on the truck and the headgear. I made a couple of tools (on the suggestion of the fisher dealer) to manage the pins, spread them, rebend them, etc. The most useful one was a stubby flatblade screwdrives about 1/4 inch blade I ground to a flat point to wedge the power connection pins open ever so slightly and make sure they fit tight.

20. jbelandscape

jbelandscape Member

Snofarmer and Justme, I can see your points and they do make sense. I was just trying to give my two cents on what I have seen and been told. Assembly lube is probably a good idea, it is more of lubricant than a grease. I also didn't take into account that people are leaving their plows out all summer, uncovered.

Jeff