1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Stops Working. Then Starts Again!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Allagash, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I've had my Blizzard straight blade plow now since 2005 and she's never let me down. However, today while using her, she got slower and slower until she stopped moving. If I switch it off for a few minutes...it starts working again but only for a few minutes. But it does not work as quickly as usual. It raises very slowly (if at all). The side to side is very slow as well or doesn't work either.

I checked the hydraulic fluid and the level was fine. It's almost as though something is getting hot and when I shut if off for twenty minutes or so, it works again. Just not that well and not for long.

Any ideas on where I should start trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Is your battery voltage getting low when this happens?

3. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Funny you should mention that. My truck would not start today. I bought two new batteries and she started right up and ran fine while plowing. No lights are on on the dash as well. Is there a way for me to tell if the voltage is getting low while plowing?

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

My truck has a volt meter on the dash.

Yours should have some indicator, be it a gauge or a light. Could be the batteries were tired. If it doesn't happen again you got the problem fixed. If not, have one of the local auto parts places test your charging system to make sure it's working to it's full potential.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, the volt meter on the cluster.

6. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I didn't think I had a volt meter on the dash but I had to check today when I got to my business where the truck is parked. It doesn't. It's got a light that comes on when there is a charging system problem. The truck would not start today with two brand new batteries installed yesterday. I charged the batteries for four hours and it started and the plow worked perfectly. Obviously it's a problem with the truck....not the plow. What's weird is that the "idiot" light on the dash never came on yesterday while plowing to show that there was a problem such as with the alternator.

Any ideas on what may be going on?

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Cold weather affects plow oil, batteries, and anything else you leave dangling outside.

8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Could still be a problem with plow draining truck batteries. Stuck solenoid causing pump to run constantly? Had that problem with another guys truck yesterday.