1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow sticking when raised

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cmland, Dec 30, 2014.

1. cmland

cmland Junior Member
    from PA

Have boss 7.5 straight blade on 2011 f250. Plow is same year. When I was plowing and would raise the plow up it would sometimes "stick" and make noise like it was still trying to lift. Would release after 3-10 seconds and work fine. I have only been plowing 2 years so not real sure where to start looking for problem. Wouldn't do it every time. Maybe 10-15 times the whole night. Thanks

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Time for new solenoid.

3. cmland

cmland Junior Member
    from PA

Ok thanks I'll check it out

4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Or too much moisture in the hydraulic oil, collecting in the lift cylinder. Moisture will cause it to stick.

John

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How is moisture gonna make the pump keep trying to raise?

6. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

You were not specific about the pump continuing to run. You referred to what was not lifting as "it", and I assumed you meant the blade was sticking on the way up. You did not even mention the word pump.

Moisture in the lift cylinder will do that, as you will learn if you plow any volume of snow. The water in the cylinder will cause the piston seals, under the load of the plow, to stick to the cylinder walls. When the section of the piston/cylinder suffering the most moisture is passed during the lift, the plow will then continue to raise normally without chatter, which was consistent with your 3-10 second description.

Others here will confirm this happens. It has nothing to do with the solenoid nor the pump -just moisture in the oil that seasonal maintenance removes.