1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Springs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ford_Eddie_Baue, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Ford_Eddie_Baue

Ford_Eddie_Baue Junior Member

I have a 1986 Ford Bronco that I'm going to put a 7 foot Meyer plow on this winter, I am looking for some recommendations on which front spring to upgrade to to support the weight.
    I do not want the front end to drop alot when the plow is up. It has the 4 shocks up front if that matters, and the suspension is stock.
    I've read on other sites that I should use the CC844S springs from a F250 2wd,
    Will these fit on my Bronco? and would air shocks work temporarily to raise the rear end to even it out, If I do not have time time to do something with the rear springs. Also I would like to hear how much rougher the ride is and what shocks you guys are using on your Broncos.

Or are there any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Mike if it's a 4 shock eddie bauer addition I should already have heavier front springs in it. With a 7' Meyer you should be fine stock. If you find the need for more spring there are some nice aftermarket springs avail that are variable load rate from Cargo Coil that most spring shops should have in stock.

Jerre

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Advance auto parts or most part stores should be able to order the springs for you. They are fairly easy to install if you have 1/2 drive tools, bigger size wrench's, a floor jack and jack stands.
    Buy the repair manual, it will tell you the in's and out's of spring replacement.
    Another option are Timbrens, they install in-place of your rubber bump stops on your frame. They are rubber spring like things that support the weight of the plow when it's on. With it off they don't touch and the truck rides near to normal. A 7.5 standard plow should be fine on a stock setup, but it will start to sag after a while. You should upgrade the alternator if it only has a 60 amp. Add the biggest baddest battery that will fit on the battery tray.