1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow speed when lowering plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowboy16, Nov 17, 2001.

1. plowboy16

plowboy16 Junior Member

Hello I am new to this site! Great site by the way! I was wondering on a older cable controlled western plow 7.5 is it bad for the plow to drop fast and hard? And what would you recomend for speed when lowering plow? Right now it drops real fast. I just don't want to harm anything. Thank you for your reply's Oh and one other thing the aframe that the plow connects to on my plow looks to be modified what i mean is someone added about 8 inches to each side so it is very long sticks way out from the front of the truck is there any reason you could see someone doing this?? Someone told me it was for stacking snow? Thanks again
  2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Altering the A frame would greatly increase the stress on the truck IMO. You have an adjustment I think to regulate the drop speed but I just use a gentle hand on the control.

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, dropping fast isn't really a problem - I prefer any snow sticking to the blade to get knocked off anyway.

With regard to the lengthened A-frame, that will get the blade up higher which may help with stacking. It may also have been lengthened as a result of adapting the blade to a different truck at some point in it's past.

How well was the work done? Bubblegum or real weld? Not trying to be a smart***, but I have seen some pretty scary looking stuff come in for repair!
  4. plowboy16

plowboy16 Junior Member

The welds are very good welds, from what i see it does look very strong the metal they used to extend it is thicker than the stock steel.
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

If it looks to be well-built, your plow should work OK for you - just remember that extra length up front! :eek:
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I agree with Plowjockey in that the extra length will cause additional leverage against your truck. Be careful!

There is a screw slot near the base of your pump motor that adjusts the lowering speed, I can't remember which way to turn it to slow it down. The only thing that might cause a problem on a fast drop is if you are plowing brick or concrete pavement, it might crack them. You might also annoy your customers at 2:00 am