1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow sometimes works, sometimes clicks.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Nov 6, 2011.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hi guys,

I think I might have an easy one here... Seems like I've got a broken ground or power wire on the truck side pigtail. Started acting up last week where sometimes I'd only get a click when trying to use the controller or the outside lift. First I figured it was just dirty connections, but since cleaning and regreasing everything, the problem remains. Playing with the truck side of the black/red power cable restores the connection and the plow runs normally. The connection problem seems to be within a couple of inches of the plug on the truck side on the ground wire. The cables themselves seem well connected - the black to a ground near the battery box and the red to the power connection. Fidding with the connections near those locations does not seem to have any impact on the problem. Presuming it is a problem with the pigtail - the plug does not appear to be easily servicable and I gather I need to buy a new one - anyone ever have any luck fixing one? I'd also love to hear if anyone thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree here... any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

John

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have seen guy cut the ends off and use the warn winch connections. But that makes it very hard to use different plows on 1 truck. Just go buy a new one and be done with it. I did both my plow and truckside last year. It was about 50 bucksish to do both truck and plow battery cables.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What exactly does that mean John? If the plow ground isn't connected DIRECTLY to the negative battery cable get it moved there. Anywhere else asks for trouble. Doubt it's causing the exact issue you're chasing now but it's very important to do regardless.

If you think the poor connection is in the truck side harness you can change just that if you want to keep it stock. But a much better choice is to build a new set of cables with 4 gauge and Anderson connectors. Doing so will add efficiency and life to the electricals and you'll likely never have a problem with the cables again. Be a good time to upgrade to a HD Trombetta solenoid too. I've covered allot of this in the past several times so I suspect a search for Anderson's and/or Trombetta will produce some reading results if you're not familiar with them.

4. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks very much for the replies... Ended up taking the plow down to the dealer and letting them deal with it. Lack of time and experience strikes again. It was easy enough to see how the pigtail was run, but trying to thread a new one seemed pretty difficult and I don't have a better source for a new one than where I went anyway... Also wanted to make sure my diagnosis (if you could even call it that) was correct. It was - the issue was that the pressure sheath on the truck side pin had been stripped, causing the connection to come and go. Never even knew that was there TBH.... Seems like a ridiculous design... I'm going to take your suggestion B&B and upgrade the wires, connectors, and solenoid - but not today. I have no idea where to go for that stuff, but I know this forum is a great resource for that kind of info, so I'll start reading.

B&B - to clarify, the plow ground runs to a post/nut on the engine bay which is wired to the negative terminal on the battery. The connections seem pretty good and there's no good path to the negative terminal without creating a loop somewhere... Seems like a good setup - is the direct-direct connection that much better? I can take that into consideration when putting the new cables together...

All in all, cost me $300 today. They tightened connections on several loose wires and nuts, flushed and refilled the fluid, greased the center pin, etc. Plus the pigtail, and installation. My goal this year is to spend less than $1000 fixing the plow. Hopefully this is a good down payment. One way to find out I guess...

Once again - thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

John

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's were I suspected you were referring to John. And as stated before, directly on the negative battery terminal is best. When you use the OEM remote stud you're now relying on the OEM ground cable to supply all voltage for both the truck and now the plow, which it isn't designed for, thus it's far from ideal.

So when you're ready to upgrade the cables and such keep that in mind..