1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Solenoid Cover Source

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by badpeanut, Feb 23, 2014.

1. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

I mounted the solenoid for my UniMount on the inner fender (see red circle in the first picture). I'd like to find a rubber cover for it similar to the circuit breaker cover in the second picture. Where can I find one?

If I have to buy a different solenoid to get one with less exposed 12V surfaces I'll consider it.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have never seen such a cover for a motor relay. Why would you want to cover it? To prevent corrosion just coat the lugs with some dielectric grease. This is such an important diagnostic point it would be a nuisance if it were inaccessible. And I would say the motor relay is the single weakest point of the entire plow needing replacement more than any other thing. Leaving it open makes it easier to replace when the inevitable failure comes. It's no more risk to have this exposed than the positive post of your battery.
  3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I agree... I have found spraying it with fluid film works well also. It helps expel moisture whereas I find dielectric grease will hold it in if it's there.
  4. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

I don't like the excitement of bumping it with a wrench while I'm working so I want a non-conductive cover.

Are there any part numbers available which isolate the 12V from inadvertent touch better?
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

To answer,,,,no. To comment on the inadvertent contact. Move the solenoid to an isolated place OR disconnect the gnd or pwr which working around it. Or just put a towel or something over it while working near it
  6. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

I have had the same concerns over the years. Try using red wire nuts. Heat them at the bottom with a small butane torch just enough to soften, then plug it on to a fluid film covered relay nut. The fluid film will allow it to be removed easily.

Screw the reckless haters above, you're thinking isn't far off.
  7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Not to get off topic a bit but if you truly want to prevent moisture and eliminate any corrosion on anything electrical,there's nothing better than Strike Hold.The inventor/owner puts his money[and his life] where his mouth is on his site. www.strike-hold.com
  8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Under the hood you will find many things that are "sparky" like the alternator output, starter lugs etc. I like to think of the hood as a protective cover. Kinda like the metal cover on your breaker panel in your house. If you take it off you should be qualified to work on what's underneath. If you open the hood to your truck and don't know what will make sparks you have no business going in there. Would be easier to find plastic coated wrenches than to find a cover for the motor relay. There are, however, rubber ends designed to put over the metal loops on the ends of the big cables. You slide them on the cable end and then push them forward so they cover the lug, the nut and the loop. They come in all sizes. See this link.. http://www.cloudelectric.com/category-s/12155.htm