1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow slowly dieing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by emosun, Dec 3, 2013.

1. emosun

emosun Junior Member
    from bob

So I bought a truck earlier this year with an old western plow on it. When I bought it the plow worked fine (up down left right). During the summer I would periodically attach /detach it to test it out and it worked great.

A few weeks ago it would barely move left and right , just sort of slowly jerk it's way over. And now today was the very first snow day and it's all the sudden is having a hard time moving up and down.

very first snow and I only plowed maybe 20feet of snow before the thing labored real hard trying to lift the plow.

I'd love to tell you exactly which specific model this western plow is , but it would appear that there really isn't any sort of way of identifying it.
  2. emosun

emosun Junior Member
    from bob

oh also. The actual controller box thing itself makes little electric motor noises , don't know if it's suppose to do that or not.
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Cable controls? Electronic valves? Motor, pump and lift ram all on assembly?

Start with connections at bumper.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The control is making noise?
  5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Got enough fluid in it?
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Give us an idea of what it looks like.
    Are the lights always attached to the tk?
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

be a good idea to service the pump....might be water in it, or dirt in a screen
  8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Sounds like could be water in the fluid, or level is too low.
  9. emosun

emosun Junior Member
    from bob

ok adding hydraulic fluid fixed it. I'm thinking it leaks at all the hose connections because they all jiggle alot.