1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow slow then quit

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by purplehavoc, Dec 12, 2008.

1. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

I have a conventional solenoid operated plow on my truck.Used it 2 weeks ago and
    it was fine,truck and plow haven't moved since.
    Fired truck up ladt night,plow only lifted a couple of inches and was very slow and really sucked the lights down.
    By the time i drove to the front of my shop the plow had lowered and now i can't raise or angle.
    Motor runs and lights dim alot.
    Has fresh fluid in it.Could it have froze up?Was -38 with the wind here last couple nights.
    Any help would be great.
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

check your connections. does it sound froze up? high pitch whine?
  3. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Checked all connections.Good and clean.
    Motor seems fairly high pitched and seems like it is spinning fast.
    If it has froze up how can i prevent this?
    Got another dump of snow today and really need the truck.
  4. no lead

when did you last change the oil? any water below zero BEGS for trouble. what brand plow?
  5. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Just changed the oil in the fall.
    It is an old style western plow.Was working fine until the other night.
  6. no lead

sounds like motor.
  7. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I'm fighting the same thing. I had a leaky hose, thought that might have been messing with the performance, so I decided to replace the hoses and fluid. After that, no joy. The motor is running fine, but it seems like the pump just won't prime. I'm going to pull it all apart in the morning. I think there are some o-rings inside the pump that might be shot. I'm going to do some more reading around here to see if it's a fairly common problem.
  8. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Check your cable adjustments. I had a buddy with the same issue last year and we found his cables had moved.
  9. SGC08

SGC08 Member

We used to have this happen once in a while but not usually with fresh fluid. Try putting some heat on it to see if that is the problem. We used to point the torpedo heater at it for 15-30 min and it would start working again.

After we would get it going, it would be fine when we were using it generated enough heat to keep it from re-freezing until you let it sit for awhile. We also weren't dealing with the temps you are though.
  10. musicars

musicars Junior Member

I also have an older Western conventional unit that sounds like it does the same thing. It was freezing up. I did a complete fluid flush and it still did it again after a few plows. I started carrying a MAP gas torch and carefully fanning the pump unit near the control end. That always thaws it out and then it generates enough heat to keep it thawed until I shut it down and let it cool. It even froze up the other day when the temp was just below freezing.

It was suggested to me that I keep getting moisture in the system because I have very pitted plungers on my lift and angle cylinders. Water is getting drawn in when the plungers retract. I'm replacing those and putting in new packing.