1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow slow moving them quit moving??????

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by eman5oh, Jan 13, 2011.

1. eman5oh

eman5oh Member

So I have a 10 year old sno-pro 3000 that I a acquired second hand 2 years ago and it has work great until now. Last week while plowing the plow started to move very slow and after a few minutes quit working. I short chained it up and brought it in the garge to work on it. When you went to move it up, left or right the motor would run and make a whirling noise but the plow would only twitch in the direction it was told to move to. I checked all the connections and the fluid in the reservoir and all checked ok. So in the cab of my truck I have mounted the toggle switch controls, that I disconnected when I purchased a hand held controller. I thought that I would unplug the hand held and plug the tooggles in and see if it made any difference. It sure did, the plow was working full speed again, so I plugged the hand held back in and it too worked fine. I figured that I must have had a bad connection that got clean when plugging and unplugging connectors. While I used the plow several times since then and it worked fine unitl this morning. I tried swapping the controls this time and had no luck. I am thinking maybe a sticking valve or a plugged filter screen??? Anyone have any advise for me? :confused:

2. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Had a problem like that on my old 2000. Water was getting into the reservoir and on cold days/night it would freeze inside. Then when i would go to use the plow it would start good but would slowly stop moving. The ice inside would get stuck on the filter and block the fluid from getting sucked into the pump, leaving me with a high pitch whining sound and no movement.
    Might be something like that.

Check the fluid for a pinkish or whitish hue. If it has water it will turn to a lighter version of the color of fuild you use. Otherwise, maybe the valves or wiring. Valves can be interchanged apparently so if your jack retract works you could swap it with the Float valve, and angle valve with the lift valve. However, what are the chances that both valves went bad or got clogged at the exact same time. Plus if your jack works then you can prob cancel out valves cause the lift piston and jack use the same valve so i'd imagine both would have to either work or not work. So i'd say check the filter and wiring first. Just my opinion.

3. eman5oh

eman5oh Member

Thanks for the reply, I did get it going and water in the fluid was to blame. I warmed up the system with a heater and drained it out and refilled with fresh fluid. Has not given a problem since and we had -19 earlier this week. I use the blue plow fluid and you could not tell by looking at it.

4. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

well just remember that if it has water in it, changing the fluid will most likely only be temporary. must be a reason its getting in. maybe a bad seal, pitted cylinder or such. until you find and fix the problem water will continue to enter the system and freeze.

mine had pitted cylinders and so as I used it water would be getting in. would work fine the whole storm but would have to change the fluid before every use. Or keep it inside the garage and warm it up before each use.