1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow slams to one side

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by das fisch, Jan 24, 2010.

1. das fisch

das fisch Junior Member
    from maine

when i angle to the right and up the cylinders come to a nice gentle stop, but when i angle to the left the cylinders come to an abrupt stop and it's noticeable.
    any ideas what this might be, I don't want to let it go too long and cause damage, let alone the shock wave felt when this happens.
    plows an old MM1 with 6 1/2' blade
  2. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

may want to check all you pins to see if any are bent
  3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with cam 77, I would take it off truck, check what might be out of alignment. If it didnt do this from day 1 I would definetly check er out.
  4. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I think its something in the coil pack area.

My plow does the exact same thing. Something to do with a poppet. One direction its smooth as can be, the other slams stops, causing recoil, moving the entire truck jerking sideways....

I cleaned all connections to mirror finish, replaced all pins, super complete fluid flush with fisher blue, no differences.
  5. serafii

serafii Senior Member

i have the same problem with my mm2 and my local dealer told me its normal. i dont know if they are right or if theyare losing their minds
  6. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

it is normal .. you can use a fish stik and it will stop..
  7. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

As posted above a fish stick will stop this as it has soft stop circuitry.
    The problem is the sudden deactivation of both the motor and vale solenoids with the joystick controllers.
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

This is true. I've swapped my fishstick onto my father in laws MM2 and his jerking/sudden stops stopped and it was smooth. My plow always "coasts" to a stop.
  9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

T:rolleyes: This is interesting as I noticed that my new XV slams back harder than my first one did and they both had a joystick???? Same story from the dealer he called them on it and they said it is normal .............. I dont think so either............
  10. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

I have a 8' HD 2009 and i noticed the exact same thing. I use a joystick controller as well. I used it 2x and noticed it was stoppong real hard when angling left, and smoth stopping right. I brought it back and the dealer told me it was functioning fine and that is it. Have had no problems with it to say of , but maybee i will try the fish stick if it will stop this, anyone eles solve this with the fish stick instead of joystick?
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Normal for all the 5 fisher plows I've had. has to do with the when angling right Both the lift and angle poppet work.
  12. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

could be a bad controller.
  13. crecore

crecore Junior Member

Mine does the same thing when angling left, the stops are abrupt at any spot. Right is fine. Adjusted the cylinder relief valves, no change at all. Switch to a fish stick with the cushioning circuitry did very little for the left, did help the right some. Every now and then it chatters going up as well. I have a video of this here with the joystick... audio helps.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  14. jaybird

jaybird Member

the fishtick does have what they call smoothstop technology. wich does come to a smoother stop left and right over the joystick. it could be a poppet problem
  15. crecore

crecore Junior Member

Replaced right side poppet no help, removed and cleaned left side poppet no help. hmmm
  16. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Same here.... I have two fishticks and they both do the same thing. Smooth-stop when angling RIGHT, abrupt stop when angling LEFT.
  17. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

This is an interesting thread.
    I happen to have a new fishstick that i just got on ebay for this season that has the smooth circuitry and noticed the "coasting" left and right whereas the joystick had the abrupt stopping that everyone talks about. So with that said, +1 on the buying a new style fishstick.
  18. crecore

crecore Junior Member

I tried a brand new fishstick while it softenned the right noticably the left hardly changed. Watch the video i posted its pretty harsh!