1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Skid Shoes! Use Them or Not!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Picasso, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

What do you guys think? I've been running my plows without The skid shoes forever! Do they actually help prevent the wear on your cutting edge or do they just get in the way? :mechanic:
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Try a search. As for myself and about 98% of the guys here they will say no shoes.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I use the shoes from all of my plows as door stops, they work very well for that, lol.
  4. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I used them once as a hammer
  5. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

If they are new they make good paper weights. But other wise used ones leave rust rings. Food for thought
  6. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

This is funny because that's exactly what I've been using them for too! lol
  7. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

The only reason to use shoes is if your plowing a stone driveway that does not have a good frozen base. The first time I plowed my stone driveway I plowed with my shoes then after that I dont need them anymore.:waving:

RIVERVIEW7 Member

i have used to the shoes as a hammer when my starter went
  9. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

Boat anchor is all they are good for, when the ground is frozen: useless, when there is no frost they ride right in the tire ruts developed from compaction of the drive.
  10. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

I leave them on the plow, only to protect the moldboard when the edge gets down to nada. Set all the way "up"
  11. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

takeing off my plows shoes was the smartest thing iv ever done:nod:
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I have about 10 sets of shoes sitting around here. I don't and won't use them.
  13. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Personally i have a dirt/gravel driveway and never have used them. If need be just bump up the plow alittle.
  14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Never have and never will use them. Thought about making a christmas ornament or something out of them, lol
  15. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I use them only on gravel the 1st or 2nd snow fall. My dad hates it when I plow all the gravel into the yard. I also use them when I plow on a lake for an ice fishing contest. It keeps my blade from digging into the ice and tripping over the bumps in the ice. Other than that, I use them for additional balast in the back end of my truck.
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Real men don't wear shoes.
  17. BGompers

BGompers Junior Member

Plowing with the shoes really makes it easy to plow gravel? I will have to try this. I have a gravel driveway, and I always cringe when i have to plow it. As for the shoes or no shoes, I dont even know what i did with mine.
  18. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I lost mine but I wish I hadnt I have a customer with a gravel drive and never look forward to doing it.
  19. Freebird

Freebird Member

I always wore shoes when I plowed, but my feet tend to get cold pretty easily otherwise. The other kind I think they call them can stompers, so when my soda can was empty i could flatten it to save space.
  20. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

if you use shoes on a plow you mine as well use a dirty rotten V blade!