1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bushwoods1, Feb 11, 2003.

1. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

I wanted to get some thought from everyone about how large a plow I can put on my f 350. Let me give you a little background first.

I have a 7.5 meyers poly, and was debating about putting on the Pro wings, or turkey wings. After some of the responces I had to an earlier thread on that subject, it sounds to me as if those "add on" items are not really ment for the poly plows, unless you want to do a lot of fabrication to make them work.

I have since decided that I may just go ahead and trade out the poly plow fro a steel blade, so I can add the Pro wings properly. I would like to stick with the Meyers plow, since I have the rig already on the truck.

My question is: How big of a blade can I put on my f-350 rig? I have seen a lot of people talking about 8.5 and even 9' plows on there f-350s

I would like to get the largest blade posible, and still add the Pro wings to the blade, since I think they cut down on the plow time a great deal, and help with "trail off". Any thoughts on this?:confused:
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

8' plus pro-wings for a total of 9-9.5' is about as wide as you'll want to be.
  3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

You could definitly put an 8.5' or 9' straight plow on that truck. I would have suggested a V (which would work) however I wouldn't recomend the Meyer V.
  4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

8' or 9' shouldn't be a problem, boils down to which one you can find to buy?
  5. truck1500

truck1500 Member

you could put a 9' on that truck i got a 9'2" boss blade on mine you could still add the wings on it that would work fine.
  6. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

Fordman. why not the meyers v plow? problems with it?
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's not hard to add the pro-wings to a poly.Any half decent welder could simply add a plate behind the moldboard for the wings to mount to.

If you really do want to trade up to a steel blade,get a 9 ft.You can still add the pro-wings to it if you want,would just be pretty wide for transport.
  8. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

the other problem with the poly is the weight behind the truck. if you have too light a blade, you'll tweak the blade. on some of our earlier superduties, we wrecked a few meyer blades, because the trucks were too heavy for the blade out front.

on the 450's we're running 8.5 or more recently 9' blades. The truck I use has the 9', its great for the lots and road I do at a corporate park.

If you haven't read already, if your truck doesn't have the ford plow prep you may want to get the x code springs which are rated at 6000lbs. They'll hold the plow better.
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

The Meyer V Plow is not built as well as the other brands and overall is not as good of a plow. Do a search and you'll find lots of threads on them. As far as what size plow to put on your truck, I would look into a nice Western, Fisher, or Boss 8 1/2' or 9' straight or V-plow.
  10. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Lawnkind beat me to it.
    Here is a link to a thread that talks a little bit about the quality of the Meyer V plow. As far as know only one member of plowsite has admited to owning a Meyer V and he didn't have anything positive to say about it.