1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dan Schulte, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Dan Schulte

Dan Schulte Junior Member

Just got back from a dealer who is trying to tell me not to get the Blizzard plow with expandable wings but rather an 8ft Meyers. From the search threads I thought Blizzard was one of the best. Any thoughts? Have an F250.

2. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

what year f250? if you have the TTB frontend be careful with the amount of weight you hang up there.
    dan

3. Dan Schulte

1999. Im new to this and he says not to waste the extra $1300 or so and go with the Meyers.

4. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

so you have the super duty which has the dana 50 frontend, thatwill handle the blizzard plow if you decide.
    next ? is what are your long term goals with plowing, are you just doing your drive and one other or is this a busines you want to get into? if you are going long term and like the blizzard your truck will handle it.
    dan

5. Dan Schulte

Dyna - thanks for the reply. Im in it for the long haul starting this year. Have been doing lawns for 5 years and like everyone else was asked to do snow as well. Signed up 2 Lowes Stores, a bank, post office, gas station and church. I must have read 500 threads on this site seeing what worked and didnt. Was going to buy a big A-- snow blower but after reading everyones stuff Im now going with a Honda 520. Buying Johns book today as well and will join SIMA soon. Thanks again. Think Wisconsin can take Michigan?

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

western all the way

7. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Dan, welcome to the site! I personally would do the 8.5 V plow from Fisher or Western and forget about the Meyers.

8. Dan Schulte

So go with the Western over the Blizzard? Are the Turk Key wings worth it? I want to do this right the first time.

9. Dan Schulte

That was stupid asking about the wings. In the V position it does that for you. LOL. One last question - what do you guys keep in your trucks for emergencies? I. E. flares, first aid kits, flashlght etc... Thanks again.

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Dan,
    I put a Blizzard 810 on my F-350 last year, and trimmed 2 hours off my route time the first storm. Unfortunately, we only had 2 storms for the season, so I can't give any reliability reports to speak of, but I'm very pleased with the way it has performed so far.

The plow isn't really well suited for gravel drives, though, stones get in the wings and sometimes bind things up, but on blacktop, stay out of its way!

11. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Dan,
    Go with a V. You won't be dissappointed:D

Greg