1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher42, Aug 29, 2004.

1. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

rite now i got a 7.5 ft. fisher plow. should i get an 8 ft. if i'm doing residential driveways? someone offered me an 8 ft. fisher (used but in good shape) for $400 that will mount on the plow frame i have on my truck. any info appreciated-thankss

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No. The 7.5' is the right size for that 1500. The extra 6" gain would not be worth it, especially for driveways. The extra weight would only put additional strain on the front end components.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with mick the 7'5" is fine for the 1500 no reason to switch. If you really felt the need to then i guess it would not be too much of a problem but why put the extra stress on the truck. Just my opinion.

4. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

My boss has a 2002 Chevy Z-71 Extended cab, he thinks that it is a heavy half ton. I don't think it is, just because it's got 6 lug rims like the older 3/4 tons did. Me and him got into a discussion the other day about putting a plow on it. He thinks he can put an 8', and I told him that it will only take a 7.5', but like said above I told him so he agreed.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i stead of spending $400 for a used blade
    why not buy a set of plow wings
    they go on and off easily and can give you an extra 2ft when needed
    purchased a set last yr best $200 i ever spent
    john

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no way 8ft is to big and heavy puts to much load on your front end

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Wings are made for full trip plows like the Meyer. I don't know of any made for trip edge plows like his Fisher. If you know of any, please let me know. I'd like to get a set.