1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Size

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by White Gardens, Oct 3, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

So I've got free access to an old 6 foot western plow. I figured I'd play around with it and modify it to fit on my Vermeer S600TX.

Basically as a mini skid, it won't get used much, if it at all, but I wanted to have it on there in case we get another blizzard or two this coming season.

It's 6 feet wide, no angle cylinders as it's a manual angle adjustment with a pin. My question is should I leave it at six feet or should I cut it down just a shade. I'm thinking about going no smaller than 4.5 feet and boxing it in.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Cut it down just enough so that when angled its still clearing the track width by a few inches on each side. 6ft may be a bit much for that thing on a blizzard....on a light snow, it could probably handle it ok.?.?.

Being that its free is great, but what you need is a large capacity bucket for that thing. A plow would be good for long walks and maybe small drives, but mini's typically dont have the speed to really "windrow". If your anticipating using it more for blizzard help, a plow may become almost useless in those conditions....while a snow bucket (or blower) would be great.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the input Mike.

Your right on the productivity factor with it. It's not going to really going to save a huge amount of time over-all and the high capacity bucket is probably the way to go.

The use it's going to get is at the property where I store the machine. The drift get really bad with just a couple of inches of snow, and with the plow I'll be able to push back drifts faster after storms to help keep the snow pushed back. I also got a couple of small residentials with some tight areas that even a Jeep would have problems removing snow. The snow-blower will get used on these houses up until about 6-8 inches, then that's where the machine would come in handy.

As for the plow I might try to box it in, or put some sort of wings on it. I don't want to fuss with it too much in all honesty, but thought I'd play around with it being free and all.

It also angles, but no hydro cylinders. Basically it's old enough it just has a pin to pull, but considering it's on a stand-on machine, it's not going to be that big of deal just to step off, pull the pin, angle it an hop back on.

Really I wish I had some way to test it before cutting it down. Come On Snow! :salute: