1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow size

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Sep 2, 2003.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I was thinking about getting a plow for my truck , but what size should I get? My truck is a 78 3/4 ton with a TH400 , NP203 , 4.10 limited slip and a modified 350 with around 270 to 300 horse. I already have a trans cooler is there anything else I should have on my truck? How much would a typical setup cost?

2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i would go with with a 8 foot plow fisher or western is probably your best bet it will probably cost around 3600 4000 installed.
    i have a meyers 7.5 on my truck never had any trouble with it.
    i have the md2 minuet mount for 3 seasons all hard use.it ran me 2700 installed.fisher and western are a better built plow
  3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

3/4 tons usually run 8' blades or 8'6" v-plows around here. I think your setup sounds good, make sure you have some god snow tires on that truck. BFG A/T or Cooper Discoverers are good.

New plows are around 2500-3500 for a straight blade, installation might be included, or might be extra, depends on each dealer's promos and how they generally operate.

If you aren't going to plow much, I'd look in the local tradinpost or newspaper for a nice used blade.
  4. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Sounds like a nice truck! I would go 8 or even 9 foot since you have alot of power to push with. You can get a nice used plow for under 1000$ may be a conventional but who cares on an older truck anyway. Maybe look at a Fisher or Western pro plow. They are common at autions around here. Maybe a swap sheet/news paper Good luck and keep us posted and maybe a few picks too!!!!!
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

With the solid front axle it will carry a 9 footer no problem.Size does matter !:p
  6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Go with 8ft or 8.5ft. Fisher or western conventional mount. I say this because it is easy to find those plows used with the perfect mount for your truck.pumpkin:
  7. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

Get yourself a comfortable chair ( you'll be sitting awhile) along with pencil & paper for notes.....

You said that you had a trans. cooler, but you didn't mention the size. IMO, get the biggest one you can fit behind your grille/infront of your radiator.
    Also, you'll need an alternator that puts alot of amps at low speed....the std. 63/65amps won't cut it. There's another post just pervious to this on this subject.
    If your battery is a couple of years old, get a new one anyway, one with a lot of "reserve power" (rated in minutes). Cold Cranking Amps is only for starting.....you'll need a lot of "reserve power" for moving the plow. A plow will draw almost as many amps each time you move it as you do when you start your truck.
    So, there you are, your lights are on, your heater/fan is on, maybe your wipers, maybe a radio, your Brake lights from time to time & you're up/down, left/right with your plow,your doing this for hours, you're putting an awful lot of strain on your trucks electrical system.
    Maybe a cell phone, just in case...

Just my $.02........

Good luck....