1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow size?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by chuck172, Nov 20, 2010.

1. chuck172

chuck172 Member
    from n.j.

I have a 2000 Kawasaki Prairie 300. Is this machine too small for a snowplow? If I can plow with it, what size and are chains needed?

2. fordzilla

fordzilla Member

48" would probably be good. I have never used chains on my quad so i wouldnt be able to tell you the difference but my foreman plows perfect without chains but i have 1.25" treads on my tires (mudlites)

3. chuck172

chuck172 Member
    from n.j.

Will the machine have enough power to do the job? It's only a 300, but in 4wd. low range it seems strong.

4. fordzilla

fordzilla Member

yea it should be fne

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A 48" or 50" plow would work good on your 300. I run chains on my Arctic Cat 500 4x4 and it's a big help.

6. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

My first ATV for plowing was a Bayou 300 4wd with a 48" blade and power wise it was fine. The only real problem with it was ground clearance due to the type of plow I had. In 2003 I upgraded to a Prairie 360 4wd with a 60" CC plow and it works great. Now I also have a Traxtor 500 with a Warn 60" which has the weight to push through deeper snow than the P360. Both the P360 and T500 have down pressure systems on them also and I have never used chains on either one.

Its hard to give a recommendation without knowing how much snow your pushing, how wet and heavy the snow is, whether your machine is 4wd or 2 wd and what type of tread and how much tread is on your tires.