1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow size

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cbeard, Feb 21, 2010.

1. cbeard

cbeard Member

I know a guy who has a Chevy Duramax 3500 crew cab long bed dually who wants a plow. What size should he buy? The front axle is rated at 4200 lbs.

Thanks for the help
    Chris

2. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

He needs at least an 8 1/2" plow to clear for the back tires. Depending on what he wants to plow maybe even a 9' would be nice to have. I have an 8' Western Pro Plow Plus on my 2500 Duramax and its works great with about 1000lbs+ in the bed.

3. cbeard

cbeard Member

He contacted the local Meyer's/ Western dealer and they wanted to sell him a 8' Western V blade. I told him I didn't think it would be large enough to cover his tracks. When I saw what the axle rating was I got a little concerned. That is why I asked for some advice.

4. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

I'm sure they would want to sell him their most expensive plow. My dealer told me to get an 8 1/2' plow for my dual rear wheel truck. Its covers my tracks and I'm happy with it.

I don't think anyone recommends a plow on a Dmax. I'm just saying that I have one and haven't had any issues yet.

5. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Does 8.5 foot plow cover your tracks while angled?

6. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

good luck on your blade size..I been using 10FT.meyer on an old chevy K10

hi all,whichever blade ya decide,make sure its wide enuff at full angle..an not drive on top of your windrows...if in dought as on size fits?? ask user name ( B&B ) from pa. he's is very knowledgeable on here...and yes me' have been using and ol 7.5 meyer w/custom expandable wings..total wide is 10 foot on a old late 70's k10 chevy w/solid front alxe..good luck there...

7. BTRBLDR

BTRBLDR Member

I have always had 9' fishers on my duramax 3500's. 8' on the duramax 2500'sussmileyflag