1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow size vs Axle weight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wrtenterprises, Nov 27, 2001.

1. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

My Western dealer has presented me with a problem that I have not thought nor heard about. I have a 2000 3/4 ton x-cab Super-Duty gas motor truck. Apparently, Ford installs a 4,400lb axle and a 5,200lb axle. Western recommends with the 4,400lb axle, which I have, not to install an 8' or larger blade. Has anybody run into this before? I certainly want the larger blade, but I do not want to destroy my truck. Any insight would be great....

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Chuck Smith is the equipment expert, and Dino (plowking35) is right behind him, and they can answer best....

And I admit I have no real Western experience.....

However, I'd be inclined to follow the manufacturers recommendations. They make them for a reason.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

The axles are the SAME, the SPRINGS are different.

They make 4400, 5200, and 6000# springs for the front of the F250 & F350.

Swap out the springs and bolt that 9.5' on!

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

There is an upgrade to a bigger axle but this is at the 350 and up level I think.

5. Kent Lawns

F350 Dually, not F350 SRW.

6. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

Go to your local spring shop, they can help you out.
    All I had to do was swap front springs

matt

7. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Ford axles

F250/F350 SRW's get a Dana 50. F350 DRW gets a Dana 60. Rear is a Sterling I believe.

Dave

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Just swap to heavier front springs, the axel is the same. That is why always get the plow prep with a truck if you are going to plow. Alot cheaper to get the option from the dealer then to install them after the fact.
    Dino

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Springs

wrtenterprises, you need to get different springs to upgrade your front gross axle weight rating. All new Ford superduty F250's and F350's have the Dana 60 axle(solid straight axle). You should be able to look on your door sticker and read your axle code. In your Ford Manual it should have a list of axle codes and their ratings(my '96 manual does). The code spring that you want is "X". The 'X' springs are the 5200 lbs springs, and coincidentally also the springs that come with the snow plow prep. package. since you have a 4400 axle you should not have the 'X' spring code. 4400 seems pretty wimpy for the Dana60. I'm surprised. My '96 Dana 50 TTB has a rating of 4600 lbs. anyway, if you look at a truck on a dealers lot with the snow plow prep, or what Ford calls the 'highest front capacity springs' or something like that, you should see the 'X' spring code on the door sticker. Some guys I know have gotten Ford to swap their springs out for free and put in the 'X' spring because the front end of the truck sagged without them(didn't sit level). You might try going to "www.ford-diesel.com" and searching the forums for this. I wouldn't get your hopes up for the free replacement though. anyway, good luck.
    Nick :)

10. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

I thought the X code springs are 6000 pounds not 5200 pounds? Or am i wrong? :confused:

Adam :D

11. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

oldmankent,

The X springs for a Super Duty are 6000 lb. Also, the front axle on a 250 and 350 SRW is a Dana 50. You don't get a 60 until a 350 DRW. And the rear is a Sterling 10.5(Like my buddy Dave O said:D)

wrtenterprises,

Likes been said before, you have the right axle, just the wrong springs;) For your truck, the U code springs will make it 5200 lbs. But if you are going to change the springs anyway, get the X's. If you can't get the dealer to swap them under warranty(I did, but it's very difficult, especially with a gasser) just buy them from the parts counter. All the spring codes are the same cost(about $120) so I would recommend the X's.

Greg

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Can you option the 60 for the 350 srw??? I may be leaning towards a new pickup now instead of a dump but want the 60

13. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I think the 60 became standard on the 250-350 this fall.
    Try www.ford-diesel.com to know for sure.

14. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

Thanks to all for the great information. I will be swapping out the springs and installing a larger plow.....

15. oldmankent

Axles

The 'X' springs enable the axle to have a GAWR of 5200 pounds. But yes I think the springs are rated at 6000. make sense? Also, as far as I know my 1996 F250 has a Dana 50 front end. It is the IFS or Twin Traction Beam front end. Ford does not use the Dana 50(TTB) on their 4x4 Superduty trucks anymore. The 4x4's only have the solid front axles now. And as far as I know, with the new F250, F350, and F350 duallies, that axle is the Dana 60 or even bigger. I don't think the bigger ones show up until the F450 and F550 applications. I am pretty sure about this info, but I'd love to know if it is wrong. I don't want to give out incorrect advice. thanks, Nick.

16. Kent Lawns

It's a Dana 50, Pops.

Dana 60 on the DRW F350.

17. oldmankent

So, what did they change the name of the Dana 50 TTB and are now making a Dana 50 solid front axle? I'm confused.

18. Kent Lawns

I believe that is correct.

19. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

SD axles

Nick,

To the best of my knowledge only the F350 DRW comes with a Dana 60 front. I don't know if they changed that for this years model, but I did a LOT of research on the 99/00 models(before I bought my Ram...LOL). I almost bought a SD.

You are correct that the 250/350 SRW comes with a solid axle, not the TTB that your 96 has. There may two styles of Dana 50's, one solid, one TTB. I know my F150 has a Dana 44 TTB(early 80's).

Also FYI I believe the numerical designator refers to the designed load capacity. IE a Dana 50 is rated for 5000lbs, 60 is rated for 6000 lbs, by Dana. The truck manufacturer's spec their own rating on the entire assembly(springs/brakes/tires).

Greg,
    Have you beaten any Ram's yet!?!?....LOL My buddy went 13.90's last month with his(bigger injectors than mine).

THINK SNOW!!

Dave

Last edited: Nov 28, 2001
  20. oldmankent

thanks for the info guys. another thing that added to my confusion was the old F350 4x4's came with a solid front end Dana 60. Srw had these. I thought they had just continued to use them and were now putting them on the F250's as well. anyway, thanks, Nick.