1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow size selection

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by HD61CUIN, Dec 10, 2006.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Ok,
    I am looking at a Western plow, but this question applies to all. What size??? 7.5, 8.0, or 8.5. I have been leaning toward an 8. My old 86' F250 had a 8.5 and that was a beast on the width, and sometimes difficult with a few residentials.

I mainly take care of family when it comes to residentials, but mostly I am a sub that plows a large trucking yard. Then there is the decision - Pro, ProPlus. I will take care of that question in the Western forum.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's for the 1500 QC/SB that's in your signature Western will tell you you can't put anything bigger than a 7.6 Mid-weight on that truck due to the front axle weight rating. But if it was mine I'd go for an 8ft pro. :nod:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  3. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i have an 8ft Fisher MM1 on my 2001 1500 Off Road Edition. i was told ballast is your friend and i haven't plowed with it. but the truck has little sag but not much in the front. i was told to take it easy, and not carry the blade around if not snowing.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are buying a new one the dealers will not put anything on biiger than recomended. But If I were you. Stay with a 7.6 an 8ft will kill your truck. Never mind the sag the front end will fall apart. You have an independent fron suspension. So the " Just go easy comment" is from someone who doesn't have a clue about front ends and IFS.

5. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

My mistake, the plow is for an 06' 2500 QC/SB Diesel. I am in the process of working a deal on an 06' closeout and trading in my 04' 1500. I am mostly concerned about width, I have another thread concerning a pro plow or pro plus.

6. BigDave12768

Go with an 8ft. Even though everyone thinks that the front end are the same in the 2500 as the 3500 they are not. Fisher will not put a 9ft on a 2500 nor will Boss. My advice in plow selection would be a Boss or a Fisher 8ft

7. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I have thought about fisher, I would only go with them on a stainless steel plow, the yellow contrasts heavily with a flame red Ram. Haven't purchased it, but am in the works.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm with ya on the yellow/red combo HD, Red+yellow= Ronald Mcdonald :D

9. BigDave12768

You are Kidding me??????? You are buying your plow on the basis of color???? What are you a woman!!!!! Have you ever seen that comercial where the guy is polishing his 4 wheeler and the dirt gods ask him what he is doing? Well thats you SALLY. From now on your name will be SALLY!!!!!

[​IMG]

Dirt God: Gary, what are you doing?
    Gary: I'm shining up my ATV.
    Dirt God: ...Why?!
    Gary: Because it's dirty?
    Dirt God: From now on your name will be "Sally"! (gives him a pink dress and a pink ATV)
    Dude passing by on ATV: Hi Sally
    Sally/Gary: ...Hi...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  10. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

WHOAAAA....calm down...

Everyone uses their own criteria as for their choice of plow, most don't choose because of color, but so....OH I CAN'T KEEP THIS UP, THAT'S FUNNY...SALLY...LOL

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't put a Blizzard on a pink truck either. Pink+White= Marykay!

12. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Ok well you drive around in a red truck with a yellow plow, but I won't.

13. BigDave12768

I did and would have again but when looking for a used truck I couldn't find a "nice" red one. My old 94 was flame red and it had a Fisher on it. FYI you do not want to drive around with your plow on after the storm. One other question for you. What are you going to use your plow for? If its just for your driveway and your moms and a couple friends you can buy a plow by color. But if you are going for comercial usage. You really need to re-think the fashion statement your truck will make during a snow storm. OK SALLY!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  14. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

ya'all don't know what paint is????

Hey wait a minuet i have a red truck with a yellow plow!

No buy a plow for fit and function not color, spray it what you want it.

plows get scratched up anyhow, so paint it to match your truck and when you seeing yellow go out an touch it up. i repaint mine evey 2 or 3 years.