1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow size for an F550?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Eronningen, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Just picked up a used F550, 2004. What are you guys running for a plow size on these?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with 10 ft Boss V plow.

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Blizzard 8611lp

4. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

we have one with a boss 9'2" V and another with a 10' go with the boss best matched for the truck

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

this was a 10' straight with a 7' wing ( i think it was 7'...might have been a 9') i used to run
    [​IMG]

6. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Nice setup. Did ya replace many mailboxes?

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

full size blizzard 8611 erie special here! wouldnt have it any other way. payup

8. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Look at my sig. All 9' HD.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

we run all 9' stainless or 9v's. the trucks already have the extra weight of the diesel so for the longevity of the front end, the 9's are fine. However I would rather see an xls on the trucks.

10. dirt digger

just one...all the development streets in that township were curbed streets so it made it a little easier

11. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

It has a central hydraulic system? Do I get a plow to run off that? If so what are my options, or do I just go with a big old V with its own hydraulics?
    I won't need the wing blade although thats a cool set up. I have had a 2 mile private road for nine years and can get away doing it with any of the other trucks.

12. dirt digger

yes it has a central hydro pump that runs off the main belt and is activated by a switch...no PTO, then all the controls are via levers

[​IMG]

13. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Well I was thinking mine had a central hydro pump too. But not sure if it does. It has a pto switch I need to flip on to dump, etc. Would that make it not?

14. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I'm leaning towards the 9'2" Boss V or the 10' boss V. The Blizzards sure look like a nice plow too. I have never run one though. No dealers closer than an hours drive for a blizzard so I need to stick with whats around here as I am no mechanic to speak of.

So if I have to flip a pto switch to operate my dump is that not a central hydro system?

15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

we have been installing 10ft boss's at work on these trucks. they handle it very well.

16. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Good to hear, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  17. dirt digger

most likely...a simple check under the hood will tell you...if you see an extra pump under there with hoses going to it that just looks out of place chances are it is a central pump

i take it the truck is an auto?

18. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

9' Western....

19. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

It is an auto

20. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Does the 550 have a beefed up transmission, axles, etc. It seems like its geared much lower than my 250's and 350's.