1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow shutters when moved left. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Tony350, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I have a 8.5 foot Ultra Mount Contractor's Pro Plus.Blade goes up and to the right just fine but when it goes to the left it shutters really bad. I replaced the pop-it valve and I'm not sure what's making it shutter.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

how new ? are there any chatter mark's on the cylinder's like maybe a packing nut is too tight or a cylinder is bent ?

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It's 5 years old. I looked and the cylinder is straight and there are no chatter marks on the ram that i can see. I'm thinking it's something electric or hydraulic. just took it apart, cleaned it and am going to test it again.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Someone else had the same problem not too long ago.....I try finding his thread but no luck...I know when I try find a part for him, Western was aware of this problem, and had a kit out....Maybe your better off calling western and find out what the part number is for the kit, and maybe they can send it to you........

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I pulled out both of the relief valves and the pump relief vale and all the cartridges and cleaned them, found one small metal piece. No broken springs and all of the coils and cartridges tested fine. The magnet in the bottom of the resevior had a slugde on it. Almost like a black anti-sieze. Cleaned both of the filters and as much of the vavle body as I could. This seemed to almost solve the problem. I didn't have enough extra fluid in my truck to drain the rams and was in a bit of a hurry to get back out there. It only shutters about once out of 20 times now. Tomorrow I am going to do the same thing but also drain the rams and hoses, put it back together run it and change the fluid again. Thanks again for the help!

6. jdio121

jdio121 Junior Member
    from ohio

i have the same problem with mine and i drained all fluid and rams changed filter and still have problem anybody know the fix yet?

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

This is a pretty old thread but what I did to fix it was: drain all of the fluid and flush the rams. I put the hoses in new fluid and pushed the plow back and forth switching the hose so it would draw in new fluid and spit out the old I did this several times. Next I separated the motor and valve body and dropped the reservoir cleaned out the entire reservoir and pump filters and screens. Then came the valve body, I took everything out of it. All of the cartridges, relief valves, crossover valves, ect. everything and inspected it all. Everything looked fine so I cleaned everything before I put it back together. Once it was back together it was all fine. That was almost two years ago.

Now each year instead of just changing the fluid I drop the reservoir and clean the magnet and filters. Good luck!

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Mine 8.5 pro plus started that was first sign of the hand control going bad In my case few months later the hand control realy went bad Fix the hand control and the Shatter stop

Might try another hand control see if that fixs it

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I wonder, does it shutter in both directions or just one way? In order to get such a vibration going and sustain it there has to be something allowing the fluid pressure to pulsate, like air or stretching hose. A sticky ram may be involved and purging your fluid & cleaning the reservoir every year is certainly a good idea but I don't see how old oil would cause the shudder. If this was my project I would be taking a real close look at the hoses and if they are old & tired I would replace them. A bad hose could be stretching and allowing fluid pressure to fluctuate like a spring in the middle of a taunt cable. As any hydraulics expert will tell you, fluid cannot be compressed so to get a shudder something must be giving the fluid some place to expand into. Check the hoses.

10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

The reason I went the route I did was the western dealer told me if the magnet is covered in metal dust it may not be collecting the dust as it should. Therefore some of it may be in the valve block causing problems. They also first suggested to check the crossover valves.

I agree with mishnick something had to be causing it to "shockload" I feel there was something in my valve body that was restricting the oil flow and not letting it flow smoothly. Mine only shuddered going one way.

11. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

It sounds like you had/ still have air in one or both of your lines or cylinders. If you don't get absolutely all of the air out of the system then it can compress in one of the cylinders causing your shuttering.

12. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It definetly wasn't air as I filled the ram with fluid before attaching the hose.

13. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Even if you prefilled the rams there will be some air in the system untill you use it under load for a while. When I build a new plow I fill it and run it through the motions three times topping up the fluid each time. Even after that when they come back a week later to recheck the bolt to ensure they are tight they will still take a bit more fluid because more air has worked it's way to the reservoir.

14. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

There's an easier way to get the air out of the rams. If anyone would be interested I'll put it on here but i'm not going to waste my time unless someone wants to hear it.

15. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I am always interested in a new idea, can't know too much!

16. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

Ok, well this is what I do with mine and I've never had a problem with air in the lines. Put the plow up just enough that it'll move back and fourth. leave the lines on the rams and disconnect them from the valve block. Put in drain pan and move the plow back and fourth manually to drain. To refill I usually cut the top off a quart of trans fluid and put the lines in the bottom of the quart. it usually helps to have a helper to hold the lines in the quart. Move the plow back and fourth slowly at first to get the fluid back in the lines. It might take a while to get most of the air out. at this point I usually move one way as fast as I can push it and wait 15-30 seconds or until the last bubble comes out of the hose. I do this a few times until I see no more bubbles, take them out of the fluid and reconnect!:mechanic: Thats how I do it and i've never had a problem with shuttering or freezing up.

I'm sure everyone has their way that's just how I do mine.