1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Shut down on me

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mayhem, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Just did my last push to finish my driveway and all the move controls on my plow stopped working.

Its an 8' Fisher MM1, 3 plug with a fishstick. It got stuck in full right angle and the only control that worked was down/float. I can hear relays clicking when I hit the control buttons but have not had the chance to check even obvious things like the power leads on the motor.

It was a real PITA to get the thing off the truck, I'm guessing because it was at full anlge it was placing pressure on the driver's side push plate, because the right pin popped right out pretty easily and I had to use a prybar to get the left one out and then I had to use a 6 foot landscaping bar to pry the plow off the truck.

So I know to check for magnetism at the coils, look for loose power connections and stuff...anything else I should be checking? Does float working indicate that some things can be eliminated as a problem?

I'll be checking the troubleshooting guide of course.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd say it's the solenoid

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Controller bad

4. mayhem

from Peru MA

Wouldn't that keep it from floating though?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck pwr into and outta the underhood solenoid. Ck the 2 small wires at solenoid. One is gnd other is signal pwr when you use the controller. Make sure you have both pwr and gnd. Sounds like its the solenoid imo

6. mayhem

from Peru MA

I think its the underhood solenoid. Based on what I've read this could really only be either the solenoid or the pump motor. I jumpered the pump motor direct to the battery and it powered on immediately, so I'll have to pickup a new solenoid.

Now, anyone know what part number I need? Its a 3 wire MM1, circa 2000 model year.

Thanks.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Any plow solenoid will work. It doesn't have to be a fisher one

8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Good luck mayhem, get much snow this year??

9. mayhem

from Peru MA

Fortunately no, I'd say maybe 6 plowable snowfalls.

We got more snow in the storm before Halloween than the entire winter.

10. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Same here 6 plowable, have a good spring