1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow shoes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by j&blawn&snow, Dec 12, 2009.

1. j&blawn&snow

j&blawn&snow Junior Member

hey everyone, dumb question been plowing 15 years with same western plow that did not have shoes. I bought meyers that came with shoes and used it for first time last week and dont like how they worked, ended up taking them off. What is the purpose of them, i know they help protect cutting edge but they leave a lot of snow even when i removed washers, what am i missing. thanks
  2. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

I was wondering the same thing myself a couple of days ago so I searched the forum and found the answer. I'll save the "use the search function" speech and just tell you what I read. The plow shoes are mostly for plowing on gravel to keep your blade from excavating. After using my plow (which also happens to be barefoot) I realized this is definitely the right answer. You can still plow on gravel just after you float down bump it up a hair.
  3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Right answer......

Most of the guys strip the shoes off first thing.

they do work well on soft ground and gravel.

If you don't need them (95% of the time) you can either bump your plow up and push forward or turn around and back drag on soft or gravel drives..........

carry on:salute:
  4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Yep...for gravel...I just do my gravel drive with my truck....had no shoes....I welded a couple of pieces of channel to the bottom to keep it up a 1/2 inch or so....no gravel on my lawn.
  5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

If you guys would keep them adjusted on a regular bases they work fine ...I have been using them for many,many years ... No problems ..
    Just subtract or add a thin washer has time warrants.. Very easy !!!!!
    Cheaper than cutting edges !!!!
  6. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

Leave shoes off.. I dont use them and makes a good clean drive way.. as for soft ground and gravel I just drop plow all way down and rise it up an inch so it dont dig in. :drinkup:
  7. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I use my western shoe as an anchor for my bass boat, does a real good job.
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

anchors, door stops, clubs, just about anything you can think of other than leaving them on the plow is a good place to start.
  9. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Mine are collecting dust on the shelf.....and I have a large rock driveway! I understand their purpose, but don't like them.
  10. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

my first year running shoes.. since my paved driveway is really fresh (just done this summer) and didnt want to gouge out any blacktop untill it ashed over and hardend up

my cutting edge is still really fresh so the shoes still sit up .. so when the blade is down and ALL the washers on the lower end the shoes still dont touch the ground.. kinda wierd actually.. you would think they would be standard sized.. but they are the offbrand western ones that i bought from tractor supply for 20 each..
  11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Unless the ground is frozen, shoes wont help from grading gravel drives. They tend to dig in or sink in after a few feet, then the blade hits anyway. Just had a storm last week. Put the shoes on, but it was useless. Had 2 furrows in the drives from the shoes. Had to bump the blade up anyway.
  12. betmr

betmr Junior Member
    from 08854

I just want to share my theory. I grew up in Alaska, and Northern NY. In my day way back when, there were no theoretical All Season Radials. In the winter it was ritual to buy Snow tires, everybody put on Snow tires (Some even bought an extra pair of rims, so they put them in the garage for the summer) Therefore it was not necessary to plow down to bare pavement, and it was desirable to have some snow on the surface for traction w/snow tires. All Season Tires are really NOT all season tires, the tread is not aggressive enough and the tires are to wide to be suitable to snow conditions. being too wide they do not cut down through snow to the pavement, and the lack of an aggressive tread design does not let them compact and grip the snow. That is why we now have to plow down to the road surface and spread SALT today, destroying our highways in the process. And also, in the old days, we sanded roads, The sand mixed with snow was OK w/snow tires. We even used to say "The sanders are out" today you say "The SALT trucks are out". Tires on cars today can not handle as little as 1/2 inch of snow safely. But in Alaska, I can't remember ever seeing a time in the winter, when there wasn't snow on the roads.

Snowplows were invented way back when, and there has not been a need to change that design, guys just take the skids off. And that's the truth. Snow Tires is the true answer.
  13. j&blawn&snow

j&blawn&snow Junior Member

thanks everyone, just wanted to make sure

I run barefoot always have in my time, BETMR's post is a very true statement i'm 35, and i can remember as a child everyone getting snow tires, and plows that didn't spark on every inch of the road...lol Today's tires have changed the way we plow today, thats a fact, in my opinion. As far as the shoe's go.. they double as a paper weight.. lol.. If your plowing a gravel drive thats soft, put on some safety glasses, hang your head out, and bump up the plow. If you think you left to much, you can even back blade it for your last pass out. All depends on your pricing i guess, how much time do wish to give them.
  15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Actually the true intent of the shoes is to keep the blade at a even edge so it wont wear at the edges to the center when doing a lot of pavement plowing.

Some shoes like the bigger round light cupped type from Western seem to help sometimes on gravel if the lot is frozen. The shoes on the Myer or that skinny type of shoes is only good for keeping the cutting edge even as they dig in as soon as you hit any gravel or soft surface. The heavy round Boss ones dig in as well just not as fast.

If you adjust them correctly with the washers you will get at least twice the life out of the edge.

With that being said I run with em off because they would catch on the back of curbs when back dragging sidewalks and islands. Otherwise I would run with em as a nice even edge will scrape a lot better then a bowed in the middle one. ussmileyflag