1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Shoes

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by trickenicke, Nov 20, 2005.

1. trickenicke

trickenicke Junior Member

Does anyone know what plow shoes do? Are you supposed to keep them up or down when plow. (this is on a craftsman lawn tractor plow for driveways)
    What are they

Thanks in advance

Nick

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

There to prevent the edge from diggin it dor example if your plowing gravel or over grass. If your doing a concrete driveway or the like, you don't need em, keep them up. If your doing gravel, put them down.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Or, put them down they way the instructions tell you to set them and they will revent excessive blade edge wear- they contact the surface and hold pressure off the cutting edge in addition to the above posting.

This will, however result in a light layer of snow being left behind after plowing as opposed to not useing them and letting the cutting edge scrape directly.

4. ultimate snow

ultimate snow Junior Member

I threw mine away the plow looks cooler without them … this could be why I lay down a lot of sod every year :nod:

5. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I never had them, so I never missed them. I do do one gravel driveway, and the owner's aware that I cannot get clear down. But I do go back every spring to rake some stones off the lawn.

6. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Last year I has customers that paid for me to plow with shoes on. So, I had them on, but they were never set. If your doing gravel drives, backdrag them. Every snow is different. On wet snow and on gravel there isn't much in the first place. Unless you want to make your drive look like hell.