1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow shoes Use'em or Not?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smokey, Dec 26, 2002.

1. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

I'm kinda new to plowing and was wondering about plow shoes Should I use them? The plow dealer said don't even bother not many people use them,but I still see people with them. What are the advanatages and disadvantages of using plow shoes???
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Search. this topic has been gone over at least 100 times.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

there have been a few threads lately on this. the general consensus is basically to use them as door stops or turn them into plow dollies. They are pretty much useless. the only time most people said they used them was if they were plowing dirt or gravel roads to prevent from plowing too much gravel. do yourself a favor and dont use em.
  4. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

yea same here they work great on gravel, but i do not use them on asphalt!
  5. long0

long0 Senior Member

Throw them in the round plastic filing cabinet.

Once the ground is frozen, there is absolutly no use for them. Then again, this is just my opinion.

6. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

7. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Dont bother.. i was told to remove them and forgot to and now i pay..... i was plowing a commerical job and was packing the snow in piles and got the ski cought on the curb and ended up bending the mount where it mounts on the plow. now i might heat it up and try to fix it so if i ever plow a gravel road i can put them back on. but other then that i cant put them on because it was bent to far and now it just keeps the plow off the ground about 5". so if you dont need them just take them off.. learned the lesson the hard way...
  8. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

do ya have a small boat? great anchors:D
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't trash 'em. Sell 'em on Ebay.
  10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Use them to hold down empty salt bags on the back of the truck, you can hold down about 20/per shoe Really handy.:drinkup:
  11. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I put them on if I am going to plow someplace that is gravel or if the road is in really bad shape or I know has some obsticles I want to avoid (i.e. sewers, water access, etc...) Otherwise they are just taking up space in the garage.
  12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Mine are on the plow, but they are raised up to the highest point so they dont even come near touching the ground. Why are they there then?? For a little extra weight for backplowing. Otherwise, nope I dont use them either, I never lower them down. Mike

You could use them for weights when doing your aerobics.......I have never used them once. When I first started plowing, someone advised me "people pay to have their lot cleaned-they don't want to see a layer of snow on it" of course one guy I work with swears by them and says something like "Why in my 15+ years of plowing snow, I've never once had to change my cutting edge-just flipped it over a year or two ago-those things are about $50 you know!" Great guy-but what a tight a$$. I have heard they are good for gravel drives though.
  14. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Another idea,

After you remove them, clean them up so they are nice and shiney, then paint them with automotive primer and a good finish, I prefer epoxy, then use them for bookends.

15. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I don't use them. I did at first for gravel and stone drives. But it is too much of a pain in the rear to move them up and down usually the washers and pins are frozen so until they come out with hydraulic ones then I won't use them. I keep them in the highest position so they are there when I sell the plow. Otherwise I know lots of people that use them for door stops.
  16. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I use them for doostops,and to hold down the tarps over my plows during summer storage:D . I use urethane edges now anyway,so no need for them at all. mY buddy insisted on using them on his new Fisher,he tripped the plow so hard,the shoes put 2 big dents in the back of the moldboard.
  17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

For you fisher owners, when the plow trips the top of the shoe stem where it pins to the plow, will hit the back of the moldbard, and pucher it, plus break the paint, and start the rusting process.
    Just take em off, and sell them.
  18. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Never thought of that Dino. I dont own a Fisher, but thats a good message to the guys who do use them. Good ideas the rest of guys had, lol. Mike
  19. skyphoto

skyphoto Member

I have the Snoway Lobo and I only use the center shoe (under the tower)....I tried taking that one off to but it makes the plow alot harder to trip if it is not on......Sure don't think there would be any need for them on a straight blade at all.......:)

20. OhioPaver

OhioPaver Junior Member

Slow wear on cutting edge

By keeping the shoes on you not only add weight to the plow for extra down pressure if you don't have that on your plow, but more importantly if you set them at the same level as the blade it will slow the wearing of the blade because the edge will only wear as fast as the shoes & vice versa.