1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Shoes - take 'em or leave 'em?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by silveradoatv, Dec 23, 2003.

1. silveradoatv

silveradoatv Junior Member

Do most people leave the stock plow shoes on your plows (except for gravel drives) or do you keep them off for the most part?

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Do a search, overwhelming vote off throw them away you will find.

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Leave 'em

4. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Big paper weight?? No really unless everything you plow is gravel and it doesn't freeze they are useless. For gravel just pick the plow up a little and it should be fine. They can hinder scrapeing asphalt and leave you with a thin layer of ice, no good.
    Leave 'em off

John

5. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Plow shoes

Plow shoes relieves alot of tension off your front end when plowing gravel drives, un-even surfaces & such. They also save your bottom edge if they are adjusted right.

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Pitch em into the scrap barrel or use them for fishing sinkers.:D

7. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Gravel roads (" Keep'em ) all other surfaces....TOSS'em.....unless you like leaving a layer of snow behind for your customer to ponder :::why :realmad: ::::::the::::*^$^% is there still snow here ???:eek:

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

toss em they leave a trail of snow behind i think there use less except for a paper wieght

9. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

take em,

to the river that is and throw them in.

10. David Smith

David Smith Member

Mine stay on, but adjusted so that the blade rests on the ground.
    If I need them, I just adjust a washer or two. That way they're there if i need them, and don't have to put them in the toolbox or anything like that.

Of course, I mainly keep them because I just bought a new Curtis plow, and will baby that thing for awhile LOL.

11. shadled

shadled Junior Member
    from SC Pa

I think it all depends on what you are plowing.. I plow driveways that are mostly stone and gravel, I do run plow shoes.

When I plow macadam driveways that are smooth and flat, I take them off..

Just my 2 cents.

12. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

In over 18 years of commercial plowing, they haven't made any difference in cutting edge wear at all.

ONE storm, just for the heck of it, I put them on and one of them got hung up on something during the storm and by the time I got home the bottom was gone, broken off, all that was left was the pole with the washers on top.

As others have mentioned, you won't be able to scrape down as well either.

The remaining one I have from my old plow makes a great door stop for my shed!

13. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

The spacers make a great necklace. The Mr. T look is going to be back in style you know!! :dizzy:

They are simply useless unless you plow gravel lots/drives.