1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow shoes on/off for this blizzard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dfor, Jan 26, 2015.

1. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I've never plowed with the shoes one. Would it be a good idea to put them on for the first couple of rounds, being that I don't want to scrape down all the way anyway?

Then take them off for the final pass when the storm is over. Any downsides of this?

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Do you plow gravel? That would be the only reason to put the shoes on

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why would you not want to scrape all the way down anyway?
    I'm not understanding this at all

4. NThill93

NThill93 Member

i think what he's trying to say is he doesn't want to plow with the storm he just wants to plow at the end when theres 12+ inches down and he would use the shoes so he doesn't have to push 12" at a time he would just push half. the answer here is you need to be plowing while the storm is going on not when its all over

5. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I plan on plowing every driveway about 3 times in 24 hours. The first couple of rounds will just be to open them up, and not being too fussy.

I get what you guys are saying. I'll probably just leave them off.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, you either use shoes or you don't. If you use them they are set to wear with your blade and will help blade wear. So, the shoes and the blade will be bearing on the plowed surface anyway.

7. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

I have always used shoes and my lots are always scraped clean. We presalt, and even the busy doctors office lots don't get hard pack and scrape right to pavement.

Once the shoes are wore in to the blade, which if you set your washers right is less than one storm, then the plow scrapes just as well. My last plow got 3 years on the original set of shoes before I sold it, and the shoes were almost done. That plow plowed airport parking non stop zero tolerance, so it had thousands and thousands of mile over those three years.

I now have a dxt that sits on four shoes, and scrapes as good as any. The tip of the blade is still directly contacting the groumd, so it scrapes every bit of snow up. It's the best scraping plow I've owned. Plus, with 1000lbs sitting on top of it I'm not worried about the edge not scraping good enough

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You think wrong, both because he answered and he said it in his first post.

I would also disagree that "plowing with the storm" is the only answer. That ranks right up there with "zero tolerance". Assuming it's light and fluffy, that is.

9. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Put the shoes on, properly adjust them and leave them on.
    I always check the adjustment every so often.
    I've tried them on and I've tried them off. No difference other than the edge wears less with them on.
    If you don't get alway down with them on, they are not adjusted properly.

10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

Shoes on for deep , take off for clean up .

Less stress on everything . The blade just sails thru it like hot butter , no tripping