1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow shoes? newbie question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Lee Vitalone, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Lee Vitalone

Lee Vitalone Junior Member

kind of a new plow operator- I bought a used Boss plow the seller took the shoes-I then heard from a long time plow guy you really don't need them, so which is it??

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Unless you are doing a lot of gravel driveways you will not need them. You will get a cleaner scrap on asphalt and concreat with out them.

3. Lee Vitalone

Lee Vitalone Junior Member

Thanks! As I suspected

4. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Properly adjusted shoes are the way to go.
    You still get a good cleaning, without destroying or wearing out the edge too fast.
    They are there for a reason and have a function. All you need is a flat spot to park and a flashlight.

5. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

agree you will get longer life out of your cutting edge.

6. LPD

LPD Junior Member

A lot of people don't run with shoes because the plow will scrape harder. I run them because I plow over gravel. Also without the shoes it is harder on the cutting edge and the pavement. Without shoes you get piles of dirt on the grass when doing unpaved driveways.

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Plow your driveway or part of a business lot with the shoes on. Then take the shoes off and replow the same spots. Compare the 2 scrapes and decide which one looks better to you.

8. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

That's what I did when I had a straight blade and for me it was a much neater, cleaner job without the shoes. At the end of each season I would turn my cutting edge around which does wonders extending it's life. Different now with a XV2 but still prefer no shoes.

9. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Yes, I have plowed w/o shoes. Slight, slight difference. It may leave a ever slight layer on the ground but it doesn't last - PLUS, I've never seen a totally perfectly level road, driveway, or lot. The lots are better for being smooth and lever but all roads have a crown so you will never get a perfect scrap anyway. You get a better scrap with a smaller plow, but not by much.
    Maybe you have better paving guys where you are.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Shoes are for gravel and rookies.

If you're worried about being hard on your cutting edge and pavement, you need to find a new job. Running a 10,000# truck over the road isn't good for it either. Plows are hard on brakes, tires, bearings, steering components, cooling systems, radiators, shocks, springs, etc. But we still do it.

Someone should probably notify the municipalities they should run shoes on all their plows because it is hard on the plows and pavement.

11. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

When I bought my first plow the dealer left the shoes on it and left it adjusted just a touch about the plowing surface. I helped a guy plow a lot and when we were done he kept saying it didn't scrape worth a crap. His scraped better. I was pissed cause he was right. The next day another guy that plowed with us looked the plow over and noticed the shoes on. He said take them off. The next snow event mine scraped better than his. Personally I will never use shoes again unless possibly on a frozen gravel drive. I'm not going through that many cutting edges to where I need to reevaluate the shoe process again.

12. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

If I can limit the need for maintenance and still get the job done, I'm in.
    Most people don't know how to adjust the shoes correctly. And it's also something you must keep up on. I think last year I checked mine four times, moved a washer once.

I'm not gravel so I guess I'm a 22+/- year rookie. :p

13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

You plowing commercial lots by yourself with your shoes on always then?

14. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Lots: church lots, small strip malls, convenience stores (no gas), many miles of roads, a few driveways, one lone parking lot to a company that they won't tell me what they do, etc.
    Maybe it's the brand plow? Maybe it's the angle of the edge? Maybe it's the shoes? I have noticed it does scrap better straight and not angled.
    Once a year I take the shoes off for a few scraps and to thaw them out. Sometimes they wear at a angle and rotate funky if a rock gets wedged behind it. (back drag a lot.)
    A few of my clients noted the scrape marks with the shoes off.
    But as always, to each their own. If running barefoot does it for you, go for it.
    YYMV

15. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

You only plow by yourself? No-one helps plow with you?

16. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Most of the time, but not always.
    Why?

17. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I just thought if you had a couple trucks plowing with you if they plowed with the shoes on or off also.

18. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Most of the guys I've plowed with ran myers junk w/no shoes... one guy ran a boss or western and I can't remember shoes or not.... can't remember anyone else. My other plow is another snoway, w/shoes.
    I should be teaming w/another SW w/shoes this year.

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Edges are consumables, much like brake pads, tires and fuel.
    The cost of replacing them is covered in my costs of doing business, IE the customer pays for them...

I agree with MarkO. there for gravel or where you want to keep the edge off of the surface being plowed for some reason.

Ever wonder why some plow MFG's dont offer them as stock, but a add on, because not everyone plows gravel.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  20. NThill93

NThill93 Member

No shoes on any of my plows but i only do a couple of gravel driveways for those i just drop the plow and give it one quick bump up never had any complaints