1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow shoes new question.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green frog, Jan 2, 2010.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I did search. I use shoes on my 7.5 pro plow on 3 hilly gravel driveways. But my question is will I hurt anything leaving them on if I raise them all the way up when not in use. I would not think they would get caught on anything. Just wondering if anyone leaves them on. Or if anyone found out the hard way not to do this?

2. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

On my western I do that but it can and does get cought on curbs occasionally. I bent one of the shoe stems this way.

3. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

im thinking of doin that this year to, some people use them all the time and never move them, so i think we should be ok.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I raised mine,,,,,, all the way to the top shelf on the junk pile. :jester:

5. trycyber

trycyber Junior Member

Shoes, what are those?:D LOL

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My shoes must be next to Reapers. I havn't seen them since I bought the plow over 3yrs ago.

I also plow some gravel drives and never have used shoes for them.

7. Laner

Laner Member
    from IA

I used shoes for the first 2 yrs plowing with my 8.5MVP with them all the way up. The 3rd yr I was leaving too much snow after plowing, so decided to take them off. Seems like the cutting edge took more abuse w/o the shoes as the edge wore out more quickly and would catch on concrete joints and such much easier. I put a new cutting edge on last year and put the shoes back on. Only time I have trouble with the shoes affecting snow removal is on a couple drives that have steep approaches and then level off at the sidewalk. I end up leaving a pile of snow at the sidewalk where the shoes are contacting the concrete instead of the plow. Once the truck is far enough up the incline to be higher than the cutting edge of the blade the snow is cleared down to the concrete again. Just my experience!

8. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i have a pile of them just waiting for scrap prices to go back up then off they go to the scarap yard :)

9. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I like to keep my shoes on my feet other wise my feet get cold when I get out of the truck for fuel.

10. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I always plow barefoot can't even remember where I left my shoes?

11. Green Grass

I think they are at the bar

12. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe that's y I don't remember.?

13. Green Grass

Might have something to do with it :drinkup:

14. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

i never use them but this year i got a huge gravel lot that is really uneven, So i thought i would take
    them along for the ride, they may come in handy.

15. lewdo

lewdo Junior Member

grf1000 what kind of plow do you have. if you have a western or blizzard i'd be interested in buying that scrap off of you.

16. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

I run all boss plows sorry

17. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Shoes are on my Western 10ft Heavy Weight. Its always angled so it helps the cutting edge slow down wearing. Spend the time and adjust them right, add washers on top so they don't move at all when your plow is up, and you'll be fine. Shoes are also still on my 9'6 Western Ultra.