1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow shoes & extra parts?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by theguynextdoor, Nov 7, 2007.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Well I'm just about set for plowing. I'm ordering some emergency back up parts for my plow. (Western Pro straight blade unimount) I was wondering what parts break often and what you guys keep with you incase of a midnight plow breakdown.

Also, do you use shoes? Have you ever ruined a driveway/parking lot without shoes? What's your general opinion on them? Use them or not....

Thanks for the info!

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I keep extra fluid, a solenoid, one hose of each size, and a spare trip spring.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Shoes... I do driveways so I dont use them, cleans better without. I replace my cutting edge about every 3 years.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All of the above, plus an eye bolt for the spare trip spring.

5. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Shoes are good when you're plowing gravel, especially before the ground freezes...once it's frozen you can take them off...Just don't put the extra spacers on top of the shoes, when the trip edge folds, the extra spacers will make the shoe pop a nice hole in your blade (personal experience)...

bltp & b&b have excellent lists....

You might want to add a come-along or ratcheting hand winch. Just in case you're in a place that you can't replace the parts and need to get the blade off the ground.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree with the come-a-long. I wouldn't leave with out one.

7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Extra Items

Spare headlamp bulbs, Turn signal bulbs, spare controller, some automotive wire and splice connectors, extra fuses, and FITIINGS, FITTINGS AND MORE FITTINGS