1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow shoes (boots)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redskinsfan34, Jan 14, 2010.

1. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on this issue. I prefer to run my western plow without the shoes on while others won't run without them. The only advantage I can see to running with them is less blade wear and not digging up much gravel on dirt lots. I just figure myself that if you're careful you can avoid the gravel issue by just raising the blade a bit. Thoughts for a newbie?
  2. procut

procut Senior Member

I have like three sets of Western shoes sitting in the corner rusting away. They scrape better with out them. I guess maybe if you plowed some gravel lots or something, then they would be nice, but I don't have anything gravel, so to me they're pointless. I think the new Western plows don't even come with them anymore, they are now an option.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Search feature is your friend.....
    This had been discussed too many times to count

scrap them
  4. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

hes right scrap them
  5. Koonta

Koonta Junior Member

took mine off, I can dig gravel just as good with 'em
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm old school.I always have had them on all my plows.If you adjust your shoes correctly you can scrape just as good as without them.Saves wear and tear not only on the cutting edge but the whole plow.
  7. loudredram

loudredram Member

We use them as weights to hold down tarps.....that's about all there good for
  8. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Thanks guys. Half of my work IS gravel but I've found that just being careful works better than dropping the blade further with the shoes on. Thanks Again.