1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow shoes and diff edges ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Dec 3, 2002.

from NJ

Hey you know those round metal plow shoes I think they are called ? Where are they supposed to be set up at , ?? shoud the edge be contacting the ground or should the shoes keep it up a bit ?? what about with a u edge ?? I would think they would carry the weight of the plow with a softer edge or shoud I just take them off all together and bury them in the garden to add Iron content to the soil..LOL....
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Use them to hold your garage doors open. Unless you have overhead doors, then use them to throw at rats.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

its like a lawnmower, the first thing you take off when you get it is the safety chute. the first thing i take off the plow is the shoes.
  4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Isnt it expensive to replace base angles??
  5. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Lose the shoes. Put them in the back of the truck for added weight

from NJ

OK so is there actually a reason they put these things on the plows or are they there just to add $100 bucks to the cost ?
  7. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

i do mostly gravel residentials so i leave my shoes on but set them so the edge and the shoe are both on the ground evenly (or as close as possible) the plow seems to trip less and move less stone, if I were doing blacktop all the time i would use them for canoe anchors :) why cant the put electric actuators on the shoes so you can have them up or down at a flick of the switch just an Idea. happy holidays folks
  8. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

throw them at the a$$holes, who give our industry a bad name
  9. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Actually I have used them before. A friend of mine has the new Gillete Stadium plow contract. Last year when we plowed there were a lot of lots that were just gravel. The shoes help on the gravel because it keeps the cutting edge off of the ground. They were paying us to plow the lots, not grade them like a bulldozer. On pavement we take them right off.
  10. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Ah, the good old shoe question. I used them my first year and a half cause I didn't know any better. I figured they must be there for a reason, so I'll use them. I'm now with the school of thought that they're useless, at least for plowing. I do all residential with mostly gravel drives and they dig in just as bad if nothing is frozen IMO. And that U-edge is coming this week so it's bye-bye shoes forever!

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have like 10 pair of plow shoes all look and are brand new.
    Our u edges can be used with no shoes, on gravel and paved surfaces.
    Back when we did use steel, I would just bump the lift arm up a touch, and plow gravel that way.
  12. racer0175

racer0175 Member

i tried them once when i had my meyers...we have a couple of gravel lots....only thing they did was make me cold as heck when i adjusted them for the gravel....after that i would just tap my plow up about an inch or two and plow the gravel lots that way....
    never even put them on my new western...

new western plow shoes for sale....invaluable for plowing....100 bucks...get 'em now...at these prices they won't last long....:D :eek: :D
  13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

if ya dont use them put them on e-bay, if they are new they fetch $50+ rusty ones go for atleast $25.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I got brand new ones sitting on my garage floor for me to trip over. Is that the only prpose they serve? You bet!
  15. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

SHOES???? SHOES????? We don't need no stinkin shoes!!!!!

I call them boat anchors...., Take them off and toss them in the garage.
  16. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I used to put them on anytime I had to plow a dirt drive or road. Now I just back-blade the drives so the edge doesn't dig in and I let the dirt roads get a base packed down. They sit in my garage now. I think I might try that boat anchor idea.
  17. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Use them for book ends or door stops.

18. MLB

MLB Senior Member

I don't get it?

I mean why would they put them on the plows if they aren't good for anything? (newbie here):confused:
  19. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Re: I don't get it?

Not to offend ya,, but did you notice that almost everyone tried to use them when they were a "newbie"? They don't keep you from diggin in when it's soft and they prevent you from scraping clean on pavement. I don't know why they're standard equipment either, there's a couple sets around here somewhere. They will get used now, you have to run one shoe in the center of our Sno-Way vee plows.
  20. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Re: Re: I don't get it?