1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Shoes and Back Drag Edge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by IA Farmer, Jan 17, 2016.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I plow a lot gravel and am wondering if the plow shoes actually work. We haven't had much snow this year but every storm has been with soft ground and I'm getting tired of pushing all my rock into a pile. I have a 9.5' MVP3. Also wondering if the back drag edge works well enough to justify the cost. Thanks

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Plow shoes will definitely help you out on the gravel! I haven't run a backdrag edge on a mvp3 but I'm sure someone will respond.

3. eludemann

eludemann Member

The mvp3 shoes I have don't get the plow as high as normal shoes, maybe 1 1/2" total. They are a different design than regular plow shoes. They will work if the ground is frozen, not as much if still soft.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Share the exact same issue here. First year with this plow. Not sure if it is 100% warm weather or if this thing just cuts down more than my straight blades and I just suck. Only a couple of snows here and it seems I'm in the skid steer after I plow to fix the gouges in the lot.

I did not get any shoes with my MVP3 so where do they even mount. Just walked out into the shop and looked at the plow and I see the holes down by the trip edge, does anyone have a picture of the shoes mounted?

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Found my pic- this interweb thing is great...

Next question-

They show two product numbers for these-
    44277-1
    and

Which ones are you guys running? Any reason besides price that one is chosen over the other.

The 44277-1 Appears to be just a stand off bracket and typical western shoes - That looks like quick and easy in house build using one of the sets of shoes laying around the shop here already Thumbs Up

6. eludemann

eludemann Member

I have the 43088 that my dealer said went with that plow. The shoes themselves are all cast, and I broke 2 last year on manholes in a stone lot. The shoes aren't sold individually, only in a kit. The kit has bolts, shoes, and the bracket that bolts to the back of the trip edge. They are made so that when the plow trips they don't go through the front of the plow.

7. jryden145

jryden145 Member

The shoes are sold individually, part number 50695 $81.06

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If the ground is soft the shores will leave ruts from the weight of The plow
    But you wount have that pile of gravel.

I don't use shoes and I plow abit of gravel.
    I just give the lift a couple of taps up.
    So some of the plows weight is back on the truck.
    Then go across the lot.
    Tap,it up,if it digs in.

Remember your going to leave snow behind with shoes also.
    Let this layer get packed doen and freeze.
    Then you can just drop the plow and go with out useing any shoes.

a back drag edge will do a littel better job.
    They add a bit of weight.
    I just jack drag it a second time if nessary.