1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Shoe Bolts?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bstout, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bstout

bstout Member

We've had a lot of freezing rain and choppy ice the length of my long driveway. I have a dirt road coming to my house and I love the plow shoes on my Boss Sport Duty. I know many don't like plow shoes but I do.

I pay pretty close attention to all of the hardware on my plow blade but this time it got away from me somehow. With all the ice, my blade has been vibrating like crazy. I was taking it easy going on the choppy ice when all of the sudden I heard what sounded like an explosion. I looked in my side mirror and saw one of my plow shoes laying in the middle of the driveway. I backed up and got out to retrieve it and went back up to my garage for a look see.

The 3" 3/8ths diameter grade five bolts that hold the shoe on had snapped off like tooth picks. Everything else was fine. All I had in my garage was grade 8 bolts so I replaced them with the harder bolts. Then I took a look at the other shoe and it was loose so I tightened it down. Evidently when the shoes come loose they're more apt to snag on something.

My question is should I replace the grade 8 bolts with grade 5 that was originally in there? Are the grade 5 bolts some kind of mechanical fuse to purposely create a weak point or am I reading too much into this?

Bob