1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow shield ??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PTTP08, Feb 9, 2011.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I have a western unimount and my blade is has 2 holes and some more making progress towards the cutting edge. Has anybody used one of those poly plow shield from northern tool. that bolts on your plow? I don't think welding is an option as the metel is just to thin and the hole is to big.
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

wait till summer. cut skin off . blast it up to bare steel. get local steel shop to roll new skin. weld it on and paint it with rustoleum sunburst red. then its a like new plow.

the skin kits you asked of can be a paint to get on some blades. and work good for the price. but i didnt like the one i used on a plow i was sellin tho.
  3. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

That sounds like alot of work I am better off looking for a newer blade sandblast it and paint it and bolt it on. Plus my steel shop are spendy around here

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Depending how old your blade is and if it is straight or not will depend on how well the plastic shield works.

I put one on a old Western Pro plow I had. The blade was straight and it worked well for sprucing up the looks and plugged the holes it had. The draw back was you can not seal it with caulk around the edges or it will bend/break when the blade flex's. This means snow and water will get between the shield and blade rusting out the whole blade faster then it would have if left bare.

I would not use one again because of that problem. If I was going to sell the plow and wanted to fancy it up some I may put one on, but only to make it look better and sell.

You may be better off welding a couple of plates on the back side of the blade if the holes are that big. Otherwise I would just get a new blade/moldboard and bolt it on.

Which I have now done with the plow I have. One advantage to a new/used moldboard is you can replace all the hardware at the same time and pretty much renew/restore what you have.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Have a metal shop roll a piece of stainless for it, and you;ll never have to mess with it again.