1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow setup Question???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Spudsm15, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Spudsm15

Spudsm15 Junior Member

Guys this is my first year plowing, THe dealer really didn't have a cance to explain to me how to use the plow. My question is the cutting edge supposed to be touching the pavement??
    There is about a half inch of clearance??? Should I adjust it to be touching the ground or is that going to mess up the pavement to bad?? Also what type of tires do you guys run on your trucks for plowing???

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I only use the shoes for loose gravel or unfrozen gravel.
    The shoes(skids) will scratch the pavement just as much as the cutting edge will.
    Must people who pay for snow plowing don't want you to leave an 1/2 of snow behind to turn to ice, they want to see pavement. There (cutting edge) made to be replaced, as most people will go through one or two a year if you plow alot.
    So raise or take off the shoes. It will take a couple of plowings to break in the cutting edge, once it is it will scrape even better.

As for tires I use round ones:waving:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  3. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

I agree, loose the shoes...unless its gravel and i run PROCOMP XTERRAIN on my bronco with a 500# ballast (10 - 50# bags of salt :)) I don't need to engage 4X4, tires hook up AWESOME in 4X2. (less than 4-5 inches pushed, no problems).

4. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

Shoes

Welcome to the snow plow industry one tip I learned when I started loose the shoes unless ur plowing gravel they sux. Other than that good luck and happy plowing!