1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Setup New into the business.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Hscaper101, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Hscaper101

Hscaper101 Junior Member
    from NJ

I'm about to make a plow purchase for my truck.
    I have a 2003 F-250 7.3 Diesel Crew Cab 8ft bed 4x4 with a 6" Lift and 36" Tires.

This will be my first plowing experience so i'm not sure on what type of setup to go with. If you guys can please fill me in on the best most reliable plow set ups out there I would greatly appreciate it. I want to make my first purchase a correct one!

As far as size, i'm honestly not sure what the norm is (8'-9') I would think.

Thank you and I look forward to the responses.

2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

what are you plowing

3. Hscaper101

Hscaper101 Junior Member
    from NJ

Commercial lots.

I use my ATV plow set up for driveways: 2010 Polaris 850xp w/ Glacier II 60" Razor plow.

4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I bet you would love a Blizzard 810 (go to Blizzards website click their logo top of this page and look at the 810)
    If i were buyin a new plow and it was within budget, that is what I would get anyways (actually I would get an 8611LP but I don't think they will sell you one for a 3/4 ton and it is probably more than you need getting started the 810 is plenty)

5. Hscaper101

Hscaper101 Junior Member
    from NJ

Awesome thanks I will check it out.

6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Happy shopping. Oh and you will get dozens of different suggestions here. I've owned Meyers and SnoWay, ran several Westerns and SnoWays, many are diehard Boss/Western/Fisher etc. fans and they are all good blades and get the job done! Features, dealer, design and personal preference should affect your opinion more than anything! Check them all out up close and make your own decision, many have only ran one or two different brands and swear by 'em without ever trying something else. Most all of them have a good reputation. Definitely research your options. But man I want a Blizzard :D

7. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Like Bushhogboy said all of us have our different brands we are loyal to. I am a Boss fan, no chain lifts, minimal maintenance, very simple to connect and disconnect from the truck, simple controls, quality made plows. I would suggest and of the Boss products to you. If you can afford it, V plows are awesome and make clean up much much easier and you can stack snow really well with them. I would recommend either a Boss V or a Boss straight blade to you, but like I have said I am partial to Boss plows. I have ran Western, Northman, Meyers and I have found the boss was the most responsive, easiest to operate and most reliable as well. Be sure to research your options and make sure you have good dealer support for whatever plow you decide to purchase when the time comes. Just my $0.02

8. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

If you run a V blade you will more then likely need to modify your mounts since your truck is lifted. You may want to stay with a straight blade for your first time.

I would suggest an 8 or 8.5 Boss.

9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll make GV happy, 9'2" Boss V.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dealer service and support is MORE important then brand.

11. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

all plow brands will do just fine but make sure you get a heavier duty model to hold up to your commercial accounts. Your dealer will obviosly know which ones will work.

I would have to suggest though going with the snow dogg ex model. it is all stainless steel and is a tall plow at 31'' tall. there a great reliable plow that has an awsome price tag of 4200$ installed. that saves you severel hundo which gives you some money for a salter.

another thing to look at is how they mount up to your truck. on some plows just the blade disconnects and you have your lights and mount always on your truck which is not only ugly but annoying.

12. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

8'6" Fisher HD:nod:

13. Hscaper101

Hscaper101 Junior Member
    from NJ

A local dealer gave me a price of 4300 installed for a 8.5' BOSS V blade, slightly used by a homeower.. Is this good or no? V blade is no good for a lifted truck?

Also has a Fisher 8.5' slightly used for 4000 installed..

Another dealer has the Snow Dogg EX80 HD for $4,200 installed..

Let me know your thoughts..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  14. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

bushhogboy lets see some pics of that 11' plow you talked about

15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Is the snow dogg new? If so you can't beat new with warranty, if you look at SD then check the price at ESI here on the site, they were advertising snow dogg v blades for $3900 Im sure the ex80 is cheaper.

16. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

go fisher extreme v

17. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Sure I would love to have a Boss V or Blizzard, but I'm not driving 3 hours to get parts or repairs. The only dealer I have it is a Western - Meyers 15 minutes away.

18. Hscaper101

Hscaper101 Junior Member
    from NJ

Snow Dogg is new, they have it for $3,750 on here. But the dealer is $4,200 installed, which seems to be good and comes with the handheld remote.

How the does the Snow Dogg compete up against the BOSS, FISHER, BLIZZARD plows?

19. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I just picked up my Snow Dogg vx85 from ESI. I haven't had any real snow yet but I can say that it looks to be a quality plow. The service at ESI was second to none!