1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow setup help for 1998 f150

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tomconnell95, Dec 5, 2012.

1. tomconnell95

tomconnell95 Junior Member

Hi, new here and want to get your opinion on my future setup. Someone is giving me a 8' plow with pump and all. Ive read that i would have no problem using the 8' plow as long as im not an a$$ with it. I have a 1998 f150 4x4. 4.6l triton. 160600 miles. 3400 front end rating and a 3200 rear rating.
    All i have to do is make a mount and a wire harness, both of which im fine with doing. Just want to know if anyone else put a 8'er on a 1/2 ton.

Any and all help is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. tebletlawns

tebletlawns Member

I wouldn't do it if you want to keep that truck long. I think that might be a bit under powered as well. Might be better off selling the plow for some $.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I agree, the 4.6 is going to be underpowered. I have a 4.8 in my singal cab chevy and it strugles with my 7.6 fisher. That truck is tired already. I would sell the plow and get a 7.6 boss poly plow. My buddy has one on his 2000 f150 w/ 4.6 and it handles the weight well.

4. tomconnell95

Thanks guys. I thought it would be a bit big but I did read about a guy who had the same exact truck as me and plowed with a 8' for 12yrs. My dad has a 01 f350 srw with the legendary 7.3 diesel. He always wanted a plow so I'll try working on him to let me put it on his truck.

5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

For that truck, you need a MINIMUM of 7.5 foot blade. 8 foot is fine.
    Power is MORE THAN ENOUGH. That engine is 248 hp. I push a 6.5 foot blade with 110 hp (with 450,000 miles on it) -- without struggle. Do the math, you''ve got WAY more power per plow load.

6. tomconnell95

Jasonv, just to make sure, your talking about the f350 with the 7.3 right? I know a 10' would be best for that truck but like you said, 8 is fine

7. jasonv

from kannada

Nope, the 150 with the 4.6. That shouldn't have any problem handling the 8 foot. Just may need some ballast.

8. tomconnell95

Really? Whats the depth of the snow your pushing. In nj we usually have a foot at a time. Sounds great. I'll probably put it on for one season and if it works out good keep on pushing with it. I do plan in the next thee yearson getting a brand new f350 diesel when I get my job in the union

9. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

i have a f150 with a straight 6 and i have a 9 foot speedcast that it pushes fine. you wont have a problem pushing a 8 foot blade as long as you plow with the storm and dont try to plow 4 feet all at once lol!

10. tomconnell95

Cool guys. Thanks for the help. Going to try it.
    I have been plowing for 4 years with an atv with a 4.5' and never pushed it hard. Always plowed with the storm. It could move 1.5' snow. Never had problems because of common sense.

Really appreciate the help

11. jasonv

from kannada

NJ is nothing for snow. I plow in the snowbelt of Ontario, just east of Lk Huron. I also am only able to plow on weekends, which can cause problems once in a while. By problems, I mean 4 foot high snowbanks and the unfortunate powdery snow with a moderate wind drifting the road FULL to 4-foot plus. Obviously, you CAN'T do that with a truck plow, so that is when I need to pull out the heavy machinery.

As mentioned, for what you're planning on handling, you won't have any problem with an 8' on that truck.

12. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on the plow you have, I may have a mount for your truck. I had a western unimount on my 99 f150 with the 4.6. I had an intake and programmer on it and felt that I had way more power than I needed. So stock, I'm sure you'll still be doing pretty fine in terms of power, that truck can handle that easy. Just don't get carried away trying to push a mountain haha. Anyway, if you get a western plow hit me up, I may have what you need. Good luck this season!

13. tomconnell95

Yea I don't reall plan on plowing mountains of snow haha. And I've been welding for a few years now so I think im just going to fabricate a mount. The guy whos giving me the plow made it a western type mount on the plow end. Thanks anyway KL&M.