1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow service, but dont salt?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno ballz, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Sno ballz

Sno ballz Member

Just curious -

About what % of plowers offer only plowing, no salting (or other ice melting service) along with it for commercial?

2. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I have four out of about 25 that we only plow. The rest are salt under 1" or icy and salt after plowing

3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I would love to stop salting all together! Unfortunately 90% of our accounts say "If you don't salt...you don't plow!". :eek:

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

In my area I can only think of 2 people that do not offer salting. These are one man opperations that have been duing the same few lots for years. Every new start up I know of has gotten a spreader by season 2 or quit plowing...

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

How can you say that? Salting made up well over 75% of my profits last year (a mild snow year), without it I would have been sitting around twiddling my thumbs quite a bit.

IMO, salting is where you make your real money....

6. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

i just got 1 signed today they only want salt when the store manager thinks it is needed so i priced high on my salt price and still got the account go figure. i put in the contract that i take no responsibility for any injuries due to the fact they don't want salt.:yow!:

7. mickman

mickman Senior Member

We only have one small commercial account that doesn't want salt.
    De-Icing is a big profit part of snow removal. I plow one account for 3-4 hrs,
    then spend $50 bones for material, & spend 10-15 minutes salting, & make "almost" as much. Spend $150, make over $400 profit for an hour of work {if you really call that work}

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

In my area salting means some employee throwing salt by the front door.Ihave a salter for my hitch stores just don't want it. only a couple of the large commercials want salting.Ido the local post office they provide the salt to throw by the front door only.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

2 of my 15 commercial accounts want salt spread each time.

Those 2 are two different branches of the same bank.

Even here the owner just wants the walks and parking area where the customers walk salted.

All the others are an as needed basis.

10. Raydon

Raydon Member

I have seven commercial accounts, approx. 7 hrs of plowing per event. No salt at all. 4 include shovelling.

11. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

we only salt the commercial propertys:waving: when needed.

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

lost account because of salt

I ended up losing a key account because they had a fit over their salting bill last year--of course they didn't mention it all winter long:confused:
    So this year I actually managed to work the numbers and save them a few hundred over last year(even with all the increases) but they still went with a company that will only salt if told too. I'm sorry but this commercials customers are either elderly or in dress shoes, too much liability NOT to salt.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I used to salt a commercial really often- it was a very profitable account with that, but now I have all resi accounts, of which only 2 get salted- one is the walk and stair only (elderly) the other is a horriblly steep drive. I use a coffee can and spread by hand out of plastic totes in the bed. Not very profitable for me at this point. I bought a 55gal drum spreader a couple years ago and have had no call to need it- plus it's murder on the truck. Do resi and there is probabily little call to salt/sand.

14. REALWORKS

REALWORKS Junior Member

we agree with most... salting or antiskid applications is where we make the $.
    we have outfitted 3 trucks with spreaders/our subs do not salt..they plow only.This helps us manage their hourly rate better and increases our bottom line with profitable service. Our eastern PA area is experiencing a growth boom so there are a lot more transient dudes with plows hanging out doing the building trades . so competition is strong for plowing but the usual for other winter services. Once the building boom slows these folks may be gone and plow only rates may be better. If you are in for the long haul...invest in the equipment. Tailgate spreaders are a smaller $ output but play hell with the body humping salt bags & shoveling cinders not to mention stopping to do this @ just about every stop. For us v bed spreaders cut time since we have the bigger eqip. to load & roll.
    Educate the consumer...
    Theresa
    Richards Excavting & Landscaping

15. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Are you out of your mind??????? Salting is by far the most profitable service I provide. We for the most part won't take on accounts that don't want it. It is great because it turns a 1'' non plowable event into a money maker. On a plowable event more often than not we do one application at the begining of the event to prevent hard-pack from developing and then another application at the end of the storm once we are through plowing.

We went from using a mix of 5/1 sand/salt to using a mix we make ourselves of 80%Salt & 20%Sand. We were able to bill more for the service because of the increase in the salt. But the best thing about it was the time savings, a route that used to require 3 loads we now do with one which saves us between 1.5 to 2 hours per truck!payup

You must have your own reasons for not wanting to do this service, but I would be :cry: without it!

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I wish I had more accounts for salting (only have 1) but it just isn't commonly done here. I'm trying to promote it, but most lots only want it 'on-call only' which is fine with me, for now...

17. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We salt, salt/sand all of our accounts. There are a couple of plowing companies that we get subbed to handle their deicing needs, that only offer plowing. I will agree that there is money to be made offering the service, but there is WAY more up keep then plowing alone. :cool:

18. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

There are a lot of people here that don't sand or salt. We offer this to companies that might need it. We have 4 contractors that we sand/salt for.