1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Selection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PCDog, Jan 12, 2012.

1. PCDog

PCDog Junior Member
    from NY

Looking for suggestions. I just purchased a 2nd truck to help keep my small commercial accounts cleared. Any suggestions on which plow set up would be best ? 08 Chevy 1/2 ton ext.cab , Thanks
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I love these questions :dizzy:. Lets see, its a half ton so you just did away with a ton of plow options. Now, what do your dealers sell in your area and what does your other truck run? Do you what chain lift or??? What can you get the best price on?

There is your answer.

Western, Boss, Hiniker, Blizzard, Curtis, SnoWay, SnoDogg are all good plows. What do you want?
  3. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

On a light truck like that I'd stay with a smaller plow, 7 1/2' straight blade or something. Depends on your budget but I'd keep the investment low as that will not be a real good long term plowing truck with anything bigger for a plow. Hard on the truck you know?
  4. PCDog

PCDog Junior Member
    from NY

Thanks for the info . I was simply asking what others are running. My 3/4 ton has an Western 8 ft. straight and does a great job. I will be putting a 7.5 on my 1/2 ton but didn't know if one worked better then the other due to the differences in weight. I know the Blizzard offers an 8ft. that weighs as much as competiters 7.5 but, dont know much about Blizzard. I appreciate the answer that wasnt sarcastic. Thanks
  5. NBI Lawn

Every major plow manufacturer has a light plow or plow designed for a 1/2ton truck. The difference between a 7.5' and 8' is only like 15lbs.
  6. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Boss 7'-6" Power V with a set of wings.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Other people are running all the brands NBI lawn listed. Go check out the 1/2 ton truck pictures thread in the pictures section.
  8. rtlawn

rtlawn Junior Member

I have to sware by Meyers I have 5 Meyers plows 2 over 10 years old and 3 3 years old with no issues other then replaceing the cutting edge and plow shoes. And i plow for hours non stop when we do get snow. It's the only brand I've used and can depend on and no reason on changeing.
  9. NBI Lawn

Its Meyer not Meyers. Kinda like Cummins and Cummings
  10. TDR Plow

TDR Plow Junior Member

I have 7'6" Boss on my 1/2 ton, it is perfect.
  11. PCDog

PCDog Junior Member
    from NY

Thanks I appreciate all the info