1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow selection question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Quality SR, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

My dad just moved upstate. He has a drive way about 150'L x 80' w (approx.) The drive way is gravel and sloped. He bought a snow blower last year and i told him he was crazy, he is going to give him self a heart attack. He has a 2005 Dodge 1500 QC with the Hemi. I told him to get the Western homeowner plow. He is worried about the extra weight. I told him this weighs less than 300. However i just went on the Western website and it only lists the 7'6" Mid Weight Poly. He doesn't want something that big and heavy. Can he put a homeowner plow on his truck? Thanks
  2. Quality SR

Bump this up info needed
  3. Quality SR

If anyone has any info that would be great.
  4. Quality SR

Bump this up. If anyone has any info let me know.
  5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would get a phone number for Douglas Dynamics and call them if you cant find the info you need on their website. Just my 0.02:)
  6. Quality SR

Thanks POPO. What is there website?
  7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

First of all, Douglas Dynamics is the co that owns western so you basically need to start with western.

There is not a homeowners plow available for the 1500 Dodge, well atleast there isnt a mount available. Mostly because the plow would be to light and narrow for his truck. The mid-weight poly weighs 532lbs minus the mount which is approx 75 lbs. The mid-weight would actually be a perfect plow for his trcuk and since it uses the ultra mount it is very easy to put on and off the truck so he wouldnt have to carry it around when hes not plowing therby taking the extra weight off the front of his truck.
  8. Quality SR

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that they own western. I spoke with a dealer today they said the same thing. He was looking for something light, and not to expensive. He is spending this winter at his house in upstate NY. Next winter he plans on being in Florida. He wanted something small enough encase he was up there when it did snow, or if he came back from Florida and there was snow on the drive way that was left by an earlier storm. I also told him why doesn't he just have someone do it. He really didn't want to that. He said he was going to ask his brother in law that lives a few miles from him. I told him go out and buy the V plow and go in to business with me. LOL payup
    Thanks guys
  9. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Have him buy a plow based on how much snow he will typically push. Bigger snow's the little ones don't like as well (plow every couple inches). Like they said as far as weight its only a couple hundred pounds more and if he doesn't drive around with it on he should be fine. My dad has a 8.5 Ultra Pro Plow on a Dodge 1500 X-Cab Short Box and he put 3/4 ton springs in it, I don't know if it really needed it. But he uses his for the same purpose....500' of his own drive way (and maybe a couple of neighbors because it's a toy).