1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow selection - Advice Requested.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by firewoodbaron, Oct 2, 2008.

1. firewoodbaron

firewoodbaron Junior Member

HI,

Need your help picking a plow. I know nothing, never plowed before.

I will use it at home ( rural with a long driveway ), neighbors/friend occasionally and clearing work areas for the firewood business.

What would be a good match for a F450 - Crew Cab Dually ?

I was thinking BOSS V 8'2" . It appears that Boss is the benchmark that's why I picked them but I would consider others as good or better.

Thanks !

2. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

I would look at the 9'2" V. The 8'2" is not wide enough to cover your rear tires. The 9'2" is not too heavy for your front end. I think the 8'2" is too small for your F450.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree more. Wouldn't hesitate to run a set of wings on the 9.2 even. ;)

4. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

or just get a 14ft foldable box for the front. wesport

9'2'' with wings puts you at 11'2'' thasts alot of snow to be pushing for a ford. if he had a GM id say do it:nod:

5. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

that 450 can push alot of snow, i say go with the 9.2 you wont regret it

6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

lol only problem is you need a front end that can hold it... :p

definately get a 9'2" and if money is not a huge issue look at the 10' Vee plow, would work good with a truck that long/wide....

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Another vote for the 9'2", unless you winged the 8'2", but that would be silly.

Maybe Mil will call his Boss dealer and let us all know what he thinks.

Well, once he's done calling his Ford, GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Freightliner, International, Sterling, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Mack, OshKosh, Mitsibushi, Isuzu, Toyota, Honda, Jeep, (am I missing any) dealers and posting all relevant specs and what plows go on which truck.

So on second thought, since winter '09 will be setting in by then, might as well just go with the 9'2".

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Boss say
    If his truck have normal bed 8 feet and 4 doors on cab with diesel that will be 6,000 pound rate on front axle. They say 9'2 boss V is better but 10'2 v plow are not
    recommendation for this due diesel.

I say
    I think 9'2 plow with wing is better in my my opinion not Boss.

10'2 plow if I have F450 I don't feel comfy have that heavy plow bounce.

9. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

If you are going with the Boss, go with the 9' 2". You could do the 10' V but that might be pushing it a bit, even though Boss' application guide says it is ok.

You also may want to consider the new Sno-Way Megablade V-wing series plow. They are monsters.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I say my my opinion is go with the 9'2' V with wings or the 10' and not worry about wings at all.......lol
    Dang Mil......the way you type will make the guy crazy reading your post. :dizzy:

11. firewoodbaron

firewoodbaron Junior Member

To all,

Thank you very much for the recomendations.
    Looks like we have a clear concensus on the 9'2" .

To ServiceOnSite,

Guess I shoud have checked the GM HD pickup specs before bying the Ford !
    With a tow rating of 24,500 , Front 6,500 , Rear 9,500 not much for a pick-up truck but I will have to do the best with what I have.

Regards, Marc