1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Selection 98 Chevy 2500HD

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jdjoe_97, Oct 26, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Hey guys, I know this is probably a frequently asked question. But I have searched and didn't find much on it. I have a 98 Chevy 454. I would like to start with plowing this year. My question is what do you suggest as far as a good plow to match this truck. I love the Boss V plow, but don't know if I can afford it. Also if any of you guys could give me an idea of what a good used straight blade is worth, I am starting to look in my area. Thanks so much for any help in advance. Joe

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Joe, I was in that spot last year. I searched and searched and came to the conlusion that there is no such thing as a "good used" plow. Finally bought a new one. In my case, it was a Fisher. If you have no experience with plow repair, you'll be better off buying new. Whatever you get will likely need something. Having said that, this year I did luck out and got a decent used 9'. But it came with the used truck I bought for $16,000. I had the history of the truck and plow when I got it from the dealer.

3. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I don't agree that there is no good used plow. I bought the plow on my truck for 800$ it's a fisher minute mount, it was only a year old. I didn't have one problem with it, all I needed were the frame plates and the wire set up to fit my truck.. Take your time searching and watch the wantad closely you'll find some poor person who got hit over the head when they bought a new truck and just wants their hardly used plow out of their yard. Right now you're running out of time to realy be searching for a plow but there are good deals out there, it's just a matter of waiting to see them.
    Casey

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with casey on this. The types of deals out there are going to depend on where you are and when your looking. In this area its best to look in the spring when people may decide they want out of the buisness and are willing to deal. BTW casey 800 for a used MM is a great deal in this area. What size did you get?

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There you have the thing about opinions - different people with different experiences and advise. BTW - what is your area? I still wouldn't advise anyone to try for a used plow where I'm from. When I got mine, I wasn't looking for a plow - it just happened to come with the truck.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If you know the right places to look there are tons of used plows out there. Dealers sell them off of trucks that come in on trade. Equipment dealers resell plows. Private ads in papers even ebay has plows. And many can be found in good condition. Remember a snowplow is a piece of service equipmnt. This means that once a plow is used a few times it will begin to show its use. This does not mean that the condition of the plow is poor. Plows can be painted for less then other repairs or purchases.

7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

used plow

i just bought a good used western plow off of ebay for $900, didnt think that was too bad of deal. had to drive from iowa to colorado to get it though. i watched for a long time to find one in the midwest, most seem to be out east, PA and NY. found some real good prices but too far away for me in the midwest. i had to build new mounts and rebuild the bottom edge of the blade as the former owner welded on the cutting edge. i have about $50 of new metal in it and several hours of my time after work and weekends. keep your eyes and ears open and you can surely find a good used blade.

good luck
    Mark k

8. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I have bought to used Boss 9'2" V's. Both were very well maintained. The only thing I h did to them was install the sno foil on them. I got both of them with new sub frames for my trucks for $ 2400.00 each.

9. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Jd PLower The plow I got for 800 was a light duty 71/2' but I plowed commercialy with it all last season and it held up great, I put a steel deflector on it to keep some snow off the windshield. I'm planning on geting another one soon, there are a few 8' HD blades in the paper for $1000 -$1200 it's just too good of a deal to pass on most of the ads say the plows are hardly used.
    Casey