1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow security question???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by panoramic4, Nov 10, 2009.

1. panoramic4

panoramic4 Junior Member

Ok I got a nice truck and a shiny new Fisher MM2 extreme V. How do I keep the bad guys from steeling my Plow when its sitting off and on the truck??? I have looked at some locks for sale online like snow-loc.com. What do you guys use?? I have seen some horror stories of plow being ripped off. I dont want that happening to me!!! I was thinking of also designing some sort of anchor system to lock the plow in place so even if they try they wont be able to get it easily. Please post any Ideas you got.

thanks John:cool:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If they want ,the will take it. Only thing you can do is make it hard for them to take it. I usually park a truck in front of mine.
  3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Welcome panoramic :drinkup:

I'll agree with the old man ~ if they are determined they will take it. Make it very hard to take.

Don't keep anything important inside the truck either....and keep the doors unlocked. Broken windows suck.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to PS.
    I keep my plow in the shop and if it is on the truck it is in my garage.
    A lock will only keep an honest thief honest.
  5. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Here's something that may interest you.
  6. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

I do the same as hydro. But that blade lock thing is pretty cool.
  7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

First, and most importantly...have it insured against theft!
  8. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I use these two to protect mine!

Butkus 2.jpg

100_0201 [].JPG
  9. Jimmycny

Jimmycny Junior Member

Hey, I purchased a set of locks from a company called Sno-Lock out of Clinton NY.

They fit my Minute Mount 2 system. I ordered them in all stainless.

The nice thing I didn't realize when I purchased the lock was that it can lock the plow TO the truck when the plow is mounted... No chance of someone being a jerk and pulling the release when I am having coffee. Plus they lock the plow pins from being ejected to prevent a drive up theft when the unit is stored. They work pretty nice, and look great with my stainless Plow.

www.sno-lock.com ...check them out.

There was another company also selling plow locks.. their units are pretty heavy duty too, but you can't use them to lock the plow to the truck when it's in use, only when storing.

I agree that you can't stop someone from taking your plow... but you can make it more difficult to take than the one down the street...and that may just save my plow!
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

If the crooks want it bad enough, they will take it. If they can pick up a Harley Davidson motor cycle and put it in a truck, I'm sure they can so the same for a plow. Locks are for honest people. They can be broken, Picked or cut off.
  11. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Mine gets stored in my garage when not in use. When it's on the truck, they would have to unbolt the frame from my truck and take everything, unless they broke in turned on my ignition and put the plow in float mode to turn on the power to the tower switch. That's just another advantage of The BOSS wesport
  12. Jimmycny

Jimmycny Junior Member

Why lock your Plow at all?

I appreciate your candor... but I also appreciate doing something, anything that can make my plow harder to steal than someone else's.

I have heard this statement a hundred times on this site... "If they want your Plow, they are gonna take it!"

My rebuttle:

Why do I lock the front door to my home? I own a small business too, and when I leave for the day I lock that door too.

I do it because it is the right thing to do. Anyone could break into my house or business... an old door, a window... a basement door... I know that. I mean it is just a single layer of glass that is protecting almost anyones 46" LCD TV, multiple Laptops, money, or goods, ...right?

My point is this... just because they CAN steal my plow does not mean that I should make it any easier for them to do so by NOT locking it down if there is that option

It is the right thing to do... it keeps those that might take a plow from probably taking it if there is any opportunity that makes another plow an easier target.

I am not a criminal, but if I were... would I opt for cutting off a Lock housing and lockset, especially if there are easier and more vulnerable targets readily available? I don't think I would choose a plow with a security device on it... I would look for something much much easier, and more within my control.

Besides, what is so special about MY plow? Nothing... It is the exact same plow as about 30% of the Minute Mount 2 Plows out there. The only difference between my plow and yours (basically), is that mine has a set of locks on it.

I suppose there are some pretty dumb criminal types out there... you know, those that are still attending night classes working towards their MBA. I would think that even the slowest of these would probably NOT say "Hey look, that plow has a security device on it... now that's a challenge... I know there are a ton of plows like this around... but I want the challenge of taking this specific one... the one with the Plow Locks! Oh Yes! This is my destiny...It's not the money now, it's the challenge of taking THIS plow!"

In any case, I see and understand all of those points about someone getting your plow if they want it regardless of how you try to protect it, but I think you have to temper those statements with a bit of common sense too...

If you have a lock... you better your odds, leave your house unlocked for a year or two... let’s see if you fair as well as with keeping it locked. My guess is you will be replacing a lot of stuff from your home over the next year or so...
  13. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

It looks like you know what to do, you just have to do it. Put some locks one the plow and when the get froze up with ice and snow, and if your luck is anything like mine, something will go wrong with your plow and you will have to take it off.

You might ask your insurance company if they recommend anything. Maybe you can get an alarm on it and when the alarms goes off, go out and give him a good scolding. I won't tell you about the battery grinder with a cut off wheel.
  14. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

i think the post with the dog is the best idea. but unfortunate enough to leave him outdoors in the cold ass weather.

The alarm idea is a good one. hook it up so that if the truck is being screwed with or the plow is, that the thing goes nuts the loudest alarm you can find.

Although on tv i seen an alarm that shoots flames out the vehicle when it is screwed with.

Even then you don't need a plow, you could set the flame throwers up to just melt the snow when you drive around, then just apply salt after. Problem solved. lol j\k
  15. Palmeron18

Palmeron18 Junior Member

I keep ours on top of our 18 wheeler tailer. its almost 20' in the air and i put it up there with a forklift. if someone can steal that then they deserve it, if they dont die in the process. my newest greatest latest idea for anit theft.....set the plows cutting edge down on an old cutting edge laying on the ground, which just happens to be hooked up to 220v, no breaker. seems perfectly reasonable to me.
  16. Jimmycny

Jimmycny Junior Member

Fisher Minute Mount Plow Locks

True... Insurance is good, I appreciate your comments. With respect to the DeWalt 18Volt Battery operated Grinders used with thin kerf cutoff wheels available at your Local Home Depot for about $129 plus $3.25 per disposable blade... The thieves that take stuff like this know about them too... Your points hammer home the same thing as others have said time and time again on this forum. Given enough tools anything can be stolen.

There are ways to bypass anything. Battery operated grinders are great devices, and if you have 3 or 4 fully charged batteries I am sure you will be able to cut the 4 to 8 - 2" base bolts to just about any 50 foot Pylon sign for a Mobil gas station or McDonalds and take the half ton of steel to the nearest recycle center and make a buck or two. My point stands... If you do nothing you are putting yourself at risk.

I have had these locks on my plow for a year now... I leave the locks ON the vehicle 24/7, and have yet to have them freeze up on me.

I know, there will be some kind of argument from someone here that it is better to do nothing than something but for me... the cost of a plow lock gives me more security than doing nothing.

The convenience of not having to go crazy jumping through hoops to prevent it from getting stolen, or preventing having someone walk by my unit while I am having a coffee and pulling the release lever (leaving me in a very precarious situation without knowing it) is literally erased with locks that I can use while the plow is on my truck.

To each his own... all I can say is good luck to you in your choice... as for me... I am confident that I am covered and that little bit of security that mounts to my plow in about 15 seconds takes a load off of my mind especially in today’s economic environment... when small businesses like mine and maybe yours too have so much more to worry about than the theft of their plows.

With my security choice, I can move onto more important aspects of my business.

Take care.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

A lock will only keep an honest thief honest. Honest Thief ?????????

Sounds like an oxymoron to me...
  18. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

As for the keeping the plow on the truck, don't use the pins. Use hardened nuts and bolts and weld the nut to the bolt. That will slow the thief down so you can reward him properly. If he is using a torch or cutting wheel, he won't be slowed down that much. At night he will be making noise and light up the area. Of course you will need those things to when you take your plow off. Now that, with an alarm that goes off when the truck is moved or wiggled should help. The bad part about the wiggling to set if off is that the wind could shake your truck a bit to and set the alarm off. People get very tired of listening to False Alarms.
  19. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

:laughing::laughing: That's the best idea in this whole thread...problem solved
  20. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

we laugh about that but i have a friend that is an electrician, he lives in the country and someone broke into his detached garage and stole a ton of supply's (for the copper wire) and a 4wheeler along with some tools while he was asleep. Now his garage is electrified, and there is even some scrap laying arounf in front of the garage that is like that as well. BTW he said he used 110, it keeps you holding on where 220 will knock you back away from it... lol we all were laughing about it when he told us but he isn't kidding.