1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow runs slow and drains battery

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jerryleight, Dec 8, 2008.

1. jerryleight

jerryleight Junior Member

I have a Western Pro plus and it will work fine for a while and then all of the sudden when you raise, lower, or go side to side it puts a massive drain on the truck electrical to the point of all the truck lifting dimming to nothing and if I turn the truck off it will not start as it has dead batteries I have changed the fluid, taken the pump and electric motor off, inspected the filters in the pump reservoir, tried adjusting the quill screw, and cleaned both the positive and negative cables at the battery and the pump motor and at the solenoid
    please help
  2. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

That sounds like it the truck side how old is th etruck I would start wiht checking all your wiring for the plow then have your battery and alternator scaned
  3. jerryleight

It is a 2003 ford f250 super duty I replaced the truck batteries and cleaned all the cables between the 2 batteries batteries
    The plow will work fine for awhile 5 to 15 min and then all of the sudden when you go to operate it it has a massive draw on the truck electrical system to the point of all the lites dimming to nothing when you operate the plow and when you let off the plow all the lites brighten up again
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It sounds to me like your motor is shot. Is it noisier than usual, growling when you lift and see the huge power drain? The bushings go bad and cause that.
  5. jerryleight

I took the motor apart and it looks like bran new inside and it is not noisey when you run it
    could it be the pressure valve ? I have not looked at that
  6. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

It may be your alternator. I have had 2 go out right around the 50,000 mark on my F 350's. At first I thought it was something with the plow wiring (first time it happened it did it on a new plow). SO i took it to my plow dealer who said it was my alternator. Fixed it and went on my way, they told me it wasn't too uncommon around that millage.
  7. jerryleight

Charged the batteries after they got drained from 5 min of running plow with the draw. Drove it around next day for 1/2 hour operating the plow all the while driving. could not get it to dim the lites and it works fine. This happened last time to while plowing ,works fine and all of the sudden it will just put a massive drain on the electrical system to the point of all the lites going out while you try to operate the plow and when you let off the plow control everything on the truck works fine again. only when you run the plow with the draw the truck keeps running and the plow works but very slow and if you shut off the truck the batteries are drained to the point that the truck will not start. let it sit and the next time you plow it might or might not do it again
  8. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

I'm no mechanic by any means but I wonder if your alternators are shot? I'm not sure but I would think plows would be designed to run off 12 volts. If the plow is drawing 12 volts and the truck cannot put out 12 volts it would kill the truck would it not?
    Also, I am sure there is no way a plow could draw more then 12 volts. If the plow itself is drawing more then 12 volts or x number of amps, it would be blowing fuses or melting wires. Like I said I'm no mechanic but I would get the alternators checked. The plow sounds like it works fine but the truck is having difficulty powering it. Take it to a Ford dealer or someone in the know about Fords.
    Good luck!
  9. jerryleight

I replaced the alt and both batteries and it took care of the problem. They said because the battery was bad it strained the alt and over worked it causing it to go bad.
    Thanks everyone for the help.
    FYI. Just a note to give symptom's of the bad battery in the 2003 F 250 Super Duty 6.0 diesel
    When plowing it would come out of 4 wheel drive even though the lite on the dash was still on. Also when starting cold it would start and stall several times before it would stay running
  10. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

I was going to say, if i had to guess it would be the alt. the reason it was working fine when you drive it around and work the plow was because you were keeping the rpm's up helping the alt charge the batt's. When your actually plowing you are usually working the plow controls at idea which creates the big drain on the batt's. Glad you got it fixed.