1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Route Time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by procut, Dec 1, 2012.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

On average, how long does it take to plow your route(s)?

I'm trying for around 6 hours per route. I've heard that tossed around here as the "industry standard."

Just curious - Thanks!
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

of course it depends on snow fall, weather, equipment, employee's ect, but for me 5-10hrs
  3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I think that is the perfect range...granted I have not done my full route yet but I expect it to take between 5-10 hours depending on snow fall.
  4. procut

procut Senior Member

K. Sounds like I'm on par. I was shooting for 6 hrs with a 2"-3" event. So, 5 hrs for 2" if everything goes perfect, and 10 hours for a big storm.
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

really it is, because I've learned that it unless you have multiple shift workers you dont want any longer cause in bad storms, breakdowns, no shows, stop everything to pick up a sick child, help with accident ect.) that route can balloon into 15hrs. Dont stretch too far, cause your service will suffer then.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Im around 8 hrs up to 4'' of snow with 5 plow rigs 25 Lots 30 driveways
    This year might be more hrs due more work
    A local plow company filed chapter 11 due to last year no snow
  7. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I try to make the routes a maximum of 6 hours for a storm that is not challenging. The times can easily double if the storm lingers, if the snow is heavy, or if the volume is such that multiple plows have to be completed. We do almost exclusively residential, and I figure about 15-18 minutes per driveway, on average, if there is such a thing!
  8. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

12 hour route for me with two trucks. I run both trucks together as almost all of them are medium to large size lots. Throwing a skid steer in the mix this year on a lot that takes 2 trucks 4 hours to do. So hopefully the my total time will go down.
  9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We used to shoot for 6-8 hours. Now that the economy has gotten worse & increased our competition, we have had to shorten up most routes to 4 hour maximums. It sucks, definitly affects bottom line profits. To make it worse market pricing is at or below where it was. I'm seeing what happened to lawn maintenance work happen to snow here big time, what used to be our main profit center is eroding. Funny part is I see adds on craigslist with companies looking for drivers constantly (every day for weeks same ad), usually same companies that have under bid us, but pay is so low I assume they can't get the staffing.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  10. Really depends on your route make up, we try to keep it at 4 hrs. If anything should happen, brake down, late start, we can still get off the road before morning rush hour. You don't make any money with trucks sitting in traffic. You need to provide superior service if you want to do lots year after year. If you still get a heavy dump you can still make it to your lots in a reasonable amount of time. Your only as good as your last plow and if we get a big storm and you get bogged down on the first lots, you may piss people off by the time you make it to the end
  11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We are around 5 hours Max with a variety of "needs" clients on each route. That way in ongoing snows we can get back to properties in a timely enough manner to service them as needed
  12. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

ya. im thinking my route is way too long (tho alot of them dont want it done without more than a couple inches)

Depending on how my first day goes i may have to have my contractor do some of the driveways. which will be nice for him since ill be able to pay a little better on the drives than the sub sub contracted lots he is on.

i know this question changes from region to region, but what kind of gross would you expect from a 5 hour shift?
  13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well you charge 25 an hour so I guess 125 for you.
  14. birddseedd

my buddy charges 25 an hour for landscaping. i think 25 an hour is ridiculous. last year i tracked some of my drives. i was getting about 200 an hour. but for a short time

but overall, drives and lots, what do you expect to make?
  15. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

:eek: With a plow?!? I hope this is including drive time and they're spread out. The average 2 car driveway around here will take me 2-4 minutes on a 2-4" snowfall. Granted, I don't do but two drives, but I used to do like 30 at one point before I transitioned to all commercial.
  16. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

On a 2-4" snowfall I have my night route which takes me about 4 hours, and my day route (all apartments with no hurry because they never move their cars anyhow), which takes me another 3. During blizzard situations all bets are off.
  17. birddseedd

have you considered a back drag blade?
  18. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I have one.
  19. birddseedd

my apologies. i meant to quote downtoearthnh.
  20. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

My route takes as long as the storm lasts, plus a few hours. If plowing gets me out of doing something I don't want to do...I take longer, If I wanna get done I go faster. I always notice if a storm ends at 8pm...I take my time, might stop for dinner during the night, my only goal becomes finishing before dawn. Nobody needs to get out in the middle of the night.