1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow riding up on snow

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by ccg, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ccg

ccg Junior Member
    from CT

I have a new to me truck this season, a 2005 Silverado 1500 with a Meyer ST easy mount classic. I have noticed that the plow tends to ride up on the snow when I am trying to push a full blade of snow leaving 4"-6" of snow instead of staying on the pavement. My old truck was a F-250 with a Fisher and I never had this problem. Is this just due to the lighter duty set up or do I need to make some adjustments in the plow set up?

Thanks,

Carl

2. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Regardless of what you may read on here from time to time. A full tilt over plow made by anyone is never going to perform like a trip edge plow . Most of the time you see someone raving about how great their full tilting plow its because thats all they are firmilar with. You had a great set up before and now imeadiately have noticed this plow is now where near; the same . It is nothing new, its been going on for years, and has more to do with the design of the plows, than who actually manufactures them..
    The little Myers plow will do ok as long as you dont ask it to do things it was never designed for . A Myers ST really cant be compared to a Fisher HD that probably weighed almost twice as much.
    Apples and Oranges.................... good luck

3. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I have the exact same setup as you, and this does not happen to me. Had 28" two weeks ago, and the plow stayed right on the ground while in float. You must have something wrong. FisherVman is right comparing Meyer ST & Fisher HD is apples and oranges, but this has nothing to do with the fact that your plow is not working correctly. Are your three springs in good shape? How about your cutting edge? Definitely something wrong! Is the plow tripping forward when this happens or staying upright? Give us more info on what's happening.

4. ccg

ccg Junior Member
    from CT

swa136

Springs appear to be in good condition, anything obvious I should be looking for? cutting edge also good. Plows stays upright when this happens, just floats up and leave about 6" of snow on the ground, I was plowing about 12' when this last happened.

thanks,

Carl

5. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

How fast are you plowing. I have the same plow. If you plow too fast it has a tendency to ride up. The slower I plow the better it holds to the pavement. After All the Moldboard is probably ony around 200lbs. I can muscle it around by myself while off the truck. Its just not a Pro quality unit.

6. rocklandls

rocklandls Junior Member

I have had my meyer for years on a F350 with a C-8 plow. I have never had this happen until this storm...I think it was the type of snow we had. I think that is why so many people were getting suck while plowing. I got stuck 6 times and have never been stuck before.

7. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

I plowed for five or six years with a Meyer ST 7.5 on my F-150 and never had a problem with the plow riding up. I plowed the last two seasons with a 2008 F-250 and Fisher 8 foot HD. Yes, the heavier truck and heavier plow were better, but I never had a problem with the old Meyer. This year I went back to a 1/2 ton Chevy 1500 and a new Meyer 7.5 ST poly. No problems again. No riding up . By the way, the ST poly is the best back dragger I've had. The poly weighs more than the steel version.

How old is your plow? Snap a picture of your spring adjustment.

8. ccg

ccg Junior Member
    from CT

Shorepower, plowing slow, when i noticed the problem i was going around a sharp turn down hill and it was very slippery. And agree it is light duty, easy to move unlike my old Fisher

Zigracer, not sure of year other than old, came with the truck and all i know is that it is older than 2005. I attached a couple pics.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks!!!!

carl

photo-3.JPG

photo-2.JPG

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

You have to wonder if some of the plow problems that we read on here the last few years when States that for the last 50 years have an annual snowfall of around 35" are now getting real old fashion storms that drop that in a storm???? It is pretty clear that most of the operators are baffled what to do with it and have trouble pushing it. Of course this is exactly the situation; where someone that has always felt comfortable with their plow; then realizes there is a reason that people have Ton trucks and big heavy 1000 lb plows.................. they certainly wouldn't need that sorta equipment to plow 4" snowstorms................

10. rocklandls

rocklandls Junior Member

I know around here in Ct there is no room to push/plow the snow...the snow can't be "flung" up while plowing; it jsut sits there. I think that is the problem. You are trying to push the snow to the left or right into existing snow piles. The snow has no where to go and therefore the plow rides up.. That was the experience I had during the last storm

11. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

CCG,

Your problem may be the angle of attack of your blade. I', going to check mine out. My springs are definitely not adjusted the way yours are, nor were the ones on my old ST 7.5 steel.

rocklandls- I agree. I'm plowing inside a canyon (that I created of course). The blade is made to slough off the snow to either side, and to a limited degree, push it forward. I couldn't push 400 feet worth of 16" wet heavy snow forward with the F-250 I used to have either.

12. ccg

ccg Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks Zig,

let me know how yours are adjusted

Carl

13. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

Carl,

Was your blade tripping and riding up on the snow, or staying upright and riding up on the snow?

Zig

14. ccg

ccg Junior Member
    from CT

Zig

Staying upright, it was like i was raising it as i plowed. i couldn't stop at the time, was making the first pass down a steep driveway, just had to keep going to get out to the street.

thanks,

Carl

15. DuffysLawncare

DuffysLawncare Junior Member

I have the same exact plow and when i get to much snow on the front it doesnt ride up it trips and digs down in harder.You may want to look into getting some feet on that it will save your cutting edge.

16. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

Plowing 12" of snow is tough with a light plow like that. It is what it is.

17. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I had a ST for one year. Try letting some more chain out. If you are going down hill it might not have enough slack to fully lower at that angle.

18. pldann86

pldann86 Member
    from LI NY

I got a 7.5 on a 3/4 gmc diesel with 1000lbs in the back and i could just about push it in
    the last storm..15 inchs very heavy
    Anything bigger and i don't know.......

19. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

Carl,

After reading all the replies and looking at my rig, my guess is that it might be the chain as BMAN1 suggested, or the combo of the amount of snow/speed of your truck and maybe a quick change in grade worked in concert to cause the problem. Did this happen only once?
    Zig