1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow rides over top of snow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by R&R Yard Design, Feb 3, 2011.

1. I have a 9 foot super duty that just rides up over the snow. Is there a height that my pushbeam needs to be at or is there a trick. It has not done this before.

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

MIne did this when I left the kickstand on/down (I guess I am an idiot afetr all haha)
    With a nine footer though I would think the weight would crush that kickstand when plowing.

3. No its up. Well off altogether

4. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Its in float but now the cylinder won't expand as far as it used to?

5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Pushbeam should be at 15 1/2" if I remember right. Also if you're using shoes lose them!

6. Now where do measure that at. Center of round hole.

7. JMA1181

JMA1181 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Yes, 15 1/2" to the center of the hole.

8. So would new size tires do that

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

No, The mounts are adjustable up and down. You need to put the truck on level ground and measure from the ground to the center of the hole on the hook on the plow mount. If its to low the mount needs to go up. If its to high the mount needs to come down. The key is to get it as close as possible. 16 is good, and 15 is good also. What kind of truck is it on? If you can on a Gm raise the T-bars and then get a alignment. Also make sure the tire pressure is right also. Also I always make sure there is atleast 3 bolt holes on each side bolting the mount to the drop down brackets. (so you can put atleast 6 bolts in on each side. Don't forget to undo the bracket behind the pushbeam also otherwise it wont move. If you need pics i can try and get some tomorrow.

10. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Yep, 15 1\2in. to the center of the holes from the ground. A 9ft'er is heavy, should not be riding over snow. Bigger tires will raise the mount and make it dig harder, well trip easier anyways...

What size tires did you go to\from? What truck?

11. Ok well the beam is at 17 so I will drop it tonight have to plow the shop still so we will see how it works. It a 2k f250 went from 305/75-16 to 265/75-16 so think that did it

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

On my Dodge it is at 17 and it plows the same as my Chevy which is @ 15 1/2.

Both of mine got use this storm and were doing the same thing. It just happens with that amount of snow. I was clearing the 1st 30 feet or so to pavement then it would start riding up. I believe it is just the nature of the beast with that much snow.
    I use to have a old Myer that did the same thing with less snow.

Unless you are saying this is happening all the time. If it was just this storm I wouldn't worry about it.

13. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

well 305/75-16 would be bout 33 to 34 inches and 265/75-16 would be around 31 1/2 inches tall so you truck would drop aproximatly 1 1/2 inches. have you adjusted the shoes (dropping the height of the truck would pitch the blade back cause the shoes to lift the cutting edge) i had a 7 1/2 western that did the same thing, was cause by worn out trip springs and of course i didnt have markers so i wasnt seeing the plow trip forward just enough to cause a ramping efect so i would also check to make sure the plow isnt leaning forward when it starts doing it.